more on Eurasian Collared-Dove vs. Mourning Dove

  • Jeff Marks
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2011
      Mobsters,

      I completed the draft account for Eurasian Collared-Dove (for Birds of Montana) yesterday and have started the Mourning Dove account.  If the former is outcompeting the latter, you wouldn't know it from the Christmas Bird Count data.  I've posted a Word document with two graphs in Files under "CBC data for Montana doves."  Note the sharp increase in Mourning Doves that began around the winter of 2000-01 (count 101), which is exactly when collared-doves first showed up on a Montana CBC (although I have only graphed collared-doves from 2004-05 to 2009-10).  FYI, collared-dove numbers in Montana for the CBC period that just ended may exceed 2,000 birds when all counts are in, smashing last winter's record of 1,230 birds.  The end is not yet in sight for those invaders.

      Jeff

      Jeff Marks
      4241 SE Liebe Street
      Portland, OR 97206