Question, nocturnal birds...

  • vireoman2004
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2010
      Lark and I were travelling back to home through Lookout Pass the other night around 8pm, on the west side of summit, and saw 4 small-ish tan birds flit across the road in rapid order, two at a time within about 10 seconds, just above auto roof-top levels. Knowing that night-hawks and bats (?) might not be usual this time of year left us with only owls to consider, but have no clue what would be in a "loose flock" like assemblage, if that were what it were... My impression (as driver and unable to look well) was screech owl size... Is that logical this time of year? What other owls might they have been? Thanks for any help that others might offer (off list if you prefer)! - Jim Greaves, Thompson Falls
    • Arla Eckert
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2010
        I have seen Huns do this just at dark so I wonder. Arla

        On 12/9/10 1:02 PM, "vireoman2004" <lbviman@...> wrote:

        > Lark and I were travelling back to home through Lookout Pass the other night
        > around 8pm, on the west side of summit, and saw 4 small-ish tan birds flit
        > across the road in rapid order, two at a time within about 10 seconds, just
        > above auto roof-top levels. Knowing that night-hawks and bats (?) might not be
        > usual this time of year left us with only owls to consider, but have no clue
        > what would be in a "loose flock" like assemblage, if that were what it were...
        > My impression (as driver and unable to look well) was screech owl size... Is
        > that logical this time of year? What other owls might they have been? Thanks
        > for any help that others might offer (off list if you prefer)! - Jim Greaves,
        > Thompson Falls

      • John Carlson
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2010
          Jim,
          Perhaps Gray Jays?

          John Carlson
          Fort Peck, MT
          jccarlson@...
          www.prairieice.blogspot.com
          http://www.pbase.com/mccownii

          Lark and I were travelling back to home through Lookout Pass the other night around 8pm, on the west side of summit, and saw 4 small-ish tan birds flit across the road in rapid order, two at a time within about 10 seconds, just above auto roof-top levels. Knowing that night-hawks and bats (?) might not be usual this time of year left us with only owls to consider, but have no clue what would be in a "loose flock" like assemblage, if that were what it were... My impression (as driver and unable to look well) was screech owl size... Is that logical this time of year? What other owls might they have been? Thanks for any help that others might offer (off list if you prefer)! - Jim Greaves, Thompson Falls

          Surfbirds.com - The World Birding Website