Re: extreme dates for shorebirds

  • TimothyB
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 2010
      HI MT Birders,

      Nate's Point is right on. The picture in Missouri changed dramatically due to two events. One was the first completion of the Breeding bird Atlas. This helped to change the way birders went about their business. A "new way" of looking at the everyday lives of birds began and things really diversified and deepened.

      The publication of Robbins and Easterla's Birds of Missouri now becoming dated (at 20 years old next year) because of the new attitude of statewide focus it enlisted. Now half a dozen times each month birders are talking about late dates, early arrivals etc. of any number of species. Because it gives everyone a new tool to work with. The entire States ability rises due to this.

      So Jeff's book on Montana Birds will likely not help anyone identify our birds any better, like the publication of a new Nat Geo guide or Sibley's latest. But what it will do is give everyone who is interested in Montana birds a fresh baseline to work from.

      This is incredibly important and a great reason for taking on a task of that magnitude. Jeff and all involved may not sell a million books but the repercussions will reverberate for years to come.

      Tim Barksdale
      Choteau, MT

      --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Nate Kohler" <nskohler@...> wrote:

      > Jeff,
      >
      > Thanks for your response. I was only curious if such a list had been compiled to date, but I see you're working on that, and it will be nice to have this important information all together when the book is complete.
      >
      > Nate
      >

      > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Marks" <jeff17_marks@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Nate and others,
      > >
      > > Some of these extreme dates are in Tracker, and all of them will be in the species accounts for Birds of Montana. Coming up with them entails a fair amount of work, including searching Tracker, mob reports (past and present), museum collections, the old literature, Dave Skaar's archived notes, etc., to say nothing of deciding which ones are valid and which should be ignored. I posted the shorebirds because all of those species accounts have been written, and thus all of the research completed (except for posting to mob for info that wasn't reported anywhere). Still lots of research to go for the accounts that have not yet been written!
      > >
      > > I hope you will understand that working as hard as we are to get this info for the book, I am not inclined to work on a less-than-complete version for the next edition of Montana Bird Distribution.
      > >
      > > Jeff
      > >
      > > *******************
      > > Jeff Marks
      > > 4241 SE Liebe Street
      > > Portland, OR 97206
      > > 503-774-4783
      > > Birds of Montana Project
      > > http://mtaudubon.org/<http://mtaudubon.org/>
      > > *******************

    • Jeff Marks
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 2010
        Mobsters,

        I've received several new "extreme" dates for migrant shorebirds and have posted a spreadsheet in the mob Files that lists the earliest- and latest-known dates, with observers for each.  I will update it periodically.  Thanks to all who have contributed the information.

        I appreciate Tim's comments about the value of recording extreme dates for migrants.  I want to make clear, however, that "Jeff's book" is really Jeff's and Paul's [Hendricks] and Dan's [Casey] book, the latter being my mostly silent partners so far as mob postings about the book are concerned!

        Jeff

        *******************
        Jeff Marks
        4241 SE Liebe Street
        Portland, OR 97206
        503-774-4783
        Birds of Montana Project
        http://mtaudubon.org/
        *******************
      • TimothyB
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2010
          Oops!

          Jeff, Paul and Dan's Book.

          But my point was not just migrants. That is why I began with Breeding Bird Atlas.

          The value of the book will continue, perhaps, long after our deaths. Whether it is the first breeding record of Yellow-throated Vireo, nest of Black-throated Gray Warbler, repeated concentrations of Common Loons (including high numbers) or the last sighting of Sprague's Pipit (now category 2 rarity) ever, or the mention of Long-billed Dowitcher at Metcalf this gives us a more detailed point to begin accumulating more sightings.

          Birding is clearly growing at a rapid pace. Beginners are coming out of the woodwork down here. Many of them have good to very good skills and are eager to learn more.

          In Kansas, many records are kept at the county level. There are over 100 counties. This gives a detailed resolution to many sightings which effectively become data points. Many of the best birders of this state, group up on weekends to drive together to seek new county birds in areas where they have holes. This was a surprise.

          The efforts of Marks, Hendricks, and Casey will lead us to a place where (quite rapidly) we will see a broader and also more detailed understanding of Montana Birds. That is All Good!
          Thanks for that hard and sustained work. Git 'er done.

          Tim

          Timothy Barksdale
          Choteau, MT