Ft. Peck, Ruby-throated Hummingbird

  • Chuck Carlson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 18, 2010
      Mobsters

      The Ruby-throated Hummingbird is still coming to the feeder at Vi Johnson's just down the block from us. In fact, it showed up in our backyard for several minutes this morning. On Sunday we had our first Townsend's Solitaire as we made our regular morning walk around the campground area.

      Three Common Grackles graced the yard on Sunday morning along with on White-throated Sparrow. Saturday's showing of Sandhill Cranes almost rivaled Friday's, with some huge flocks numbering close to 500 to 600 birds. On both days the show started right around 3:15 pm, so they must have been roosting somewhere in Saskatchewan for the previous night. They seemed to be looking for night roosting spots somewhere west and south of us. On Saturday morning I found several flocks feeding in grain fields near the Willow Creek Road.

      Yesterday afternoon I found two Surf Scoters on the sewage ponds. Both were females or juvenile males.

      Chuck Carlson
      Ft. Peck  MT