Blue Jays

  • Bob Martinka
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
      Birders:

      Blue Jays have shown up in my yard here in Helena just as they do
      every October about this time for the past 4 years. I know they are
      nothing special for most of you, and there may be a few breeding in
      the Helena Valley, but they are a nice, colorful Oct. addition to the
      yard. Not sure if they are migrants from up north or dispersers of
      locally breeding birds. They will be gone again by the end of the month.

      The Lakes in the Helena Valley are all full with very little shoreline
      this fall. So places like the Helena Valley Regulating Reservoir that
      normally have shorebirds and lots of gulls are pretty much devoid of
      these bird groups this year.

      Still some sparrows, pipits, kinglets, etc, and a few yellow rumps
      around but the small bird migration is winding down around here.

      Bob Martinka
    • Jim Brown
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 6, 2006
        Thats interesting about the Blue Jays because two days ago we had one pull into our yard and visit the feeder. It was here again today so maybe it will hang around for awhile. A few Blue Jays seem to stay in Missoula during the fall and early winter before disappearing again. It is an exciting bird when you dont get to see it often.

        Jim Brown

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 7, 2006
          Thought I'd jump in. Raised in the South, as a youngster I found these
          guys to be troublesome, loud-mouthed bullies. Funny how your
          perceptions change: now I find them to be delightful reminders of "home"!

          So I was thrilled to hear one a couple of days ago near the Clark Fork
          here in Plains (running late ~ as usual ~ and couldn't stop to get a
          sighting). Maybe I'll get back over there today . . .

          Cheri Seli
          Plains

          --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Brown" <woodsy@...> wrote:

          > Thats interesting about the Blue Jays because two days ago we had
          one pull into our yard and visit the feeder. It was here again today
          so maybe it will hang around for awhile. A few Blue Jays seem to stay
          in Missoula during the fall and early winter before disappearing
          again. It is an exciting bird when you dont get to see it often.

          > Jim Brown

        • Debbie Riewer
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 13, 2008
            Yesterday I had four Blue Jays eating peanuts off my deck railing. They
            did quite a bit of talking when they ran out. I had two Northern
            Flickers in the yard as well in the last couple of weeks!
          • Jim Greaves
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 13, 2008
              Where?

              --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Riewer" <debriewer@...>
              wrote:

              > Yesterday I had four Blue Jays eating peanuts off my deck railing.
              They
              > did quite a bit of talking when they ran out. I had two Northern
              > Flickers in the yard as well in the last couple of weeks!

            • debbie riewer
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 14, 2008
                Sorry, I live in Conrad
                Deb

                > Yesterday I had four Blue Jays eating peanuts off my deck railing.
                They
                > did quite a bit of talking when they ran out. I had two Northern
                > Flickers in the yard as well in the last couple of weeks!

              • Larry Carter
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 15, 2008
                  I was not sure how common Blue Jays are here in Montana.  I am new to Montana.  I lived most of my life in Indiana where the Blue Jay's are very common.  I did live in and around Medford, Oregon for over four years, there they were very scarce.  Nice to see an eastern bird out here.  Good birding--Larry Carter

                  Yesterday I had four Blue Jays eating peanuts off my deck railing. They
                  did quite a bit of talking when they ran out. I had two Northern
                  Flickers in the yard as well in the last couple of weeks!

                • mergnsr
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                    It appears as though we may have a pair of Blue Jays nesting here at the hatchery. This is only the second time I've seen one here in over 14 years and now they may be nesting? We'll see. This is Bluewater State Fish Hatchery, outside of Bridger.
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 29, 2010
                      Dave and Maribeth:

                      It would be great to confirm the nest, as there are very few documented nests from around the state. For such a raucous bird, they can get rather secretive regarding the nest. Our pair here in Somers visits daily, and I have the general suspected nest location identified, but haven't confirmed it yet. Good Luck!

                      --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "mergnsr" <daveandmaribeth@...> wrote:

                      > It appears as though we may have a pair of Blue Jays nesting here at the hatchery. This is only the second time I've seen one here in over 14 years and now they may be nesting? We'll see. This is Bluewater State Fish Hatchery, outside of Bridger.

                    • DebbieR
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 15, 2011
                        I have had 3 to 4 Blue Jays feeding on peanuts in my back yard here in Conrad. Also a Flicker is in competition for the peanuts.
                      • DonaldJ
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 8, 2013
                          Good Morning everyone!

                          Does anyone in the Flathead-Mission Valley have Blue Jays hanging near their feeders on a daily basis. I've got a project I'm working on and I need to get some Photos of Eastern Blue Jays as well as Orioles.

                          Thanks!

                          Don Jones
                          www.donaldmjones.com
                          Troy, MT
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 8, 2013
                            Don:

                            Both species daily in our yard and neighborhood.  If I know you are coming, I will keep the peanut supply current. But you need to bring your Lesser Goldfinch with you.

                            --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "DonaldJ" wrote:

                            > Good Morning everyone!
                            >
                            > Does anyone in the Flathead-Mission Valley have Blue Jays hanging near their feeders on a daily basis. I've got a project I'm working on and I need to get some Photos of Eastern Blue Jays as well as Orioles.
                            >
                            > Thanks!
                            >
                            > Don Jones
                            > www.donaldmjones.com
                            > Troy, MT

                          • DonaldJ
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 8, 2013
                              Thanks Dan, I'll keep you posted when I'll be in the neighborhood. Can't help you on the Lesser Goldfinch as we ate it yesterday - I don't know why they call it lesser it was great ;-)

                              Don

                              --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Casey" <danielcasey55@...> wrote:

                              > Don:
                              > Both species daily in our yard and neighborhood. If I know you are
                              > coming, I will keep the peanut supply current. But you need to bring
                              > your Lesser Goldfinch with you.
                              > Dan CaseySomers
                              > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "DonaldJ" wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Good Morning everyone!
                              > >
                              > > Does anyone in the Flathead-Mission Valley have Blue Jays hanging near
                              > their feeders on a daily basis. I've got a project I'm working on and I
                              > need to get some Photos of Eastern Blue Jays as well as Orioles.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks!
                              > >
                              > > Don Jones
                              > > www.donaldmjones.com
                              > > Troy, MT

                            • birder43
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 27, 2013

                                MOB, I had two Blue Jays at my feeder's today plus the Mountain Chickadees are here as well in Fairfield.  Checked out Freezout this afternoon pretty quiet but saw around 50 Long-billed Dowitchers on Pond 4 with a few Bonaparte's Gulls near the Dike.  Checked out Priest Butte Lake, the far side was empty where over a thousand Tundra Swans were there a few day's before.  I do believe this extreme cold front will change that as Mike Schwitters yesterday reported around 500 Snow Geese.  Maybe we will have another Snowy Owl and finch winter?  All for now, Larry Carter Fairfield