Snow Bird

  • pajaros0422
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2010

      Hi Mobsters

      Richard and I made a loop drive today looking for raptors.  We headed up over the Bridgers to Cottonwood Reservoir then went a bit farther north on US 89 to Pulis Rd.  We then headed south on US 89 through the Shields Valley to Livingston and back across the pass to Bozeman .  We counted 34 Bald Eagles in the Shields Valley and 21 Rough-legged Hawks in our entire loop.

      For us, the highlight of the day was finding a mixed flock of at least 500 Horned Larks, Snow Buntings and Lapland Longspurs about 3+ miles north of Wall Rock Rd (the north end of Cottonwood Reservoir) on Pulis Rd.  We had great scope views of all three species at once until a strafing run by a Merlin changed the image but added even more excitement to the event.

      We also found a real live Snow Bird.  An all white raptor perched in a cottonwood on MT 86 not too far west of its intersection with US 89.  My assessment when it flew was that it was a leucystic Rough-legged Hawk.  It hinted at carpal patches as seen in image #0098.  It was really very white.  I've placed some photos of the Snow Bird in my AMRO photo album.  Any comments would be welcome.

      It was a lovely way to begin the post CBC season!

      Happy 2010

      Robin Wolcott

      Bozeman , MT

    • Nate Kohler
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2010
        Robin/Richard and all,

        After looking at your photos, I too would agree that your "snowbird" is a Rough-legged Hawk. Structurally - head shape, bill shape and posture seems to point toward RLHA, and not RTHA. A very beautiful bird, and a nice find.

        Nate Kohler

        --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "pajaros0422" <pajaros@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mobsters
        >

        > Richard and I made a loop drive today looking for raptors. We headed up
        > over the Bridgers to Cottonwood Reservoir then went a bit farther north
        > on US 89 to Pulis Rd. We then headed south on US 89 through the Shields
        > Valley to Livingston and back across the pass to Bozeman. We counted 34
        > Bald Eagles in the Shields Valley and 21 Rough-legged Hawks in our
        > entire loop.
        >

        > For us, the highlight of the day was finding a mixed flock of at least
        > 500 Horned Larks, Snow Buntings and Lapland Longspurs about 3+ miles
        > north of Wall Rock Rd (the north end of Cottonwood Reservoir) on Pulis
        > Rd. We had great scope views of all three species at once until a
        > strafing run by a Merlin changed the image but added even more
        > excitement to the event.
        >

        > We also found a real live Snow Bird. An all white raptor perched in a
        > cottonwood on MT 86 not too far west of its intersection with US 89. My
        > assessment when it flew was that it was a leucystic Rough-legged Hawk.
        > It hinted at carpal patches as seen in image #0098. It was really very
        > white. I've placed some photos of the Snow Bird in my AMRO photo
        > album. Any comments would be welcome.
        >

        > It was a lovely way to begin the post CBC season!
        >

        > Happy 2010
        >

        > Robin Wolcott
        >
        > Bozeman, MT

      • Cheryl Farmer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2010
          Robin, you got much better pictures than we did on the white Rough-legged Hawk. Very nice. It was very skittish when we saw it Dec. 26th. You can see my post #7592 and Farmer's Fotos for our one picture. Having seen this bird before, in the same location, we still think it's a Rough-legged Hawk. Glad you got to see it. Cheryl Farmer, Bozeman