Montana Bird Records Committee

  • Jeff Marks
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 11, 2009
      Mobsters,

      Several people have asked recently about which species need rare bird reports, and where one can find a blank report form.  If you click on "Links" at our site you will find access to the Montana Bird Records Committee (MBRC) Web pages and a copy of the rare bird report form.  Use the latter to submit reports for species that are on the Review List, which can be accessed from the MBRC opening page or directly at http://mtaudubon.org/birds/review.html.  Please submit completed reports to me via email attachments.

      Thanks,

      Jeff Marks
      (Secretary, MBRC)

      *****************
      Jeff Marks
      4241 SE Liebe Street
      Portland, OR 97206
      503-774-4783
      Birds of Montana Project
      http://mtaudubon.org/
      *****************
    • Douglas Hansen
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 11, 2009
        Several people have asked recently about which species need rare bird reports, and where one can find a blank report form.  If you click on "Links" at our site you will find access to the Montana Bird Records Committee (MBRC) Web pages and a copy of the rare bird report form.  Use the latter to submit reports for species that are on the Review List, which can be accessed from the MBRC opening page or directly at http://mtaudubon. org/birds/ review.html.  Please submit completed reports to me via email attachments.

        Thanks,

        Jeff Marks
        (Secretary, MBRC)

        ************ *****
        Jeff Marks
        4241 SE Liebe Street
        Portland, OR 97206
        503-774-4783
        Birds of Montana Project
        http://mtaudubon. org/
        ************ *****

      • Jeff Marks
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 11, 2009
          Doug,

          Thanks for the suggestion.  It would be nice to click on any of the review species and get more information, but who has the time to set all of that up?  Not I, I'm sorry to say.  Meanwhile, you can get that information by searching in Tracker.

          Jeff

          *****************
          Jeff Marks
          4241 SE Liebe Street
          Portland, OR 97206
          503-774-4783
          Birds of Montana Project
          http://mtaudubon.org/
          *****************
        • Douglas Hansen
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 11, 2009
            Well, taking the "tracker" suggestion, I picked some "rare" birds off the MAS website and then I tried tracker -- some "rare" birds, but certainly not all "rare" birds are in the tracker species listings -- for example arctic tern is there, but not scarlet tanager, summer tanager, iceland gull, or lesser black-backed gull.  One does get a geographical description, but only if the bird is listed on the tracker lists.

            Maybe there is little time for the programming adjustment on MAS website listings, and maybe there is little availability of a programmer to install the descriptive features.  Tracker resources are, also, inadequate where the same information is concerned.

            Now, with the suggestion out there, perhaps a programmer will come forward and make an adjustment -- OR -- Maybe someone at MAS would take note of the suggestion and put it on their 'things to do' list.

            One other comment -- once a comprehensive rare bird records enhancement is made, the only updates would need to come immediately after the records committee meets.

            Doug Hansen, Great Falls

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 11, 2009
              Doug,

              When you searched the Tracker Reports you must have clicked on Single Species Overview instead of Generalized Observations.  Try the latter and you will see the complete list of bird species on the state list.  And you can always check the Annual Reports for the bird records committee.  I'll be sure they are posted every year right after the annual meeting.

              Jeff

              *****************
              Jeff Marks
              4241 SE Liebe Street
              Portland, OR 97206
              503-774-4783
              Birds of Montana Project
              http://mtaudubon.org/
              *****************
            • Daniel
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 11, 2009
                Doug:

                Your suggestions are indeed good ones, although there is more than a bit of work involved. For one thing, we are finding that sorting the individual older records of some of the rare species is tedious. We have been working hard as a committee to resolve past records, and (as Jeff pointed out) to rapidly put the annual minutes up on the website. Over time, including a link to a summary of past records may indeed be possible.

                As for Tracker, there are two level of access. Those with agency clearance can see the details of each individual sighting, but those without get slightly more generalized results. I am not sure why certain species are excluded from the selection menu, without the full access, though (I confirmed tonight that this is the case). That seems wrong, and I will see what can be done to include all species at the primary menu. Coburn, if you are reading these, can this be resolved?

                MBRC Chairman

                --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Hansen" <dhansen01@...> wrote:

                > Well, taking the "tracker" suggestion, I picked some "rare" birds off the MAS website and then I tried tracker -- some "rare" birds, but certainly not all "rare" birds are in the tracker species listings -- for example arctic tern is there, but not scarlet tanager, summer tanager, iceland gull, or lesser black-backed gull. One does get a geographical description, but only if the bird is listed on the tracker lists.
                >
                > Maybe there is little time for the programming adjustment on MAS website listings, and maybe there is little availability of a programmer to install the descriptive features. Tracker resources are, also, inadequate where the same information is concerned.
                >
                > Now, with the suggestion out there, perhaps a programmer will come forward and make an adjustment -- OR -- Maybe someone at MAS would take note of the suggestion and put it on their 'things to do' list.
                >
                > One other comment -- once a comprehensive rare bird records enhancement is made, the only updates would need to come immediately after the records committee meets.
                >
                > Doug Hansen, Great Falls

              • Douglas Hansen
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 11, 2009
                  Yup!  Found the lists which Jeff referenced.  Looked up some of my favorites.  Noticed that Centennial Valley had a record for Summer Tanager -- obviously was added as the 4th such record -- but not a record for Fishtail.  Still, it would be a helpful to to know what the last (most previous) record is, even if all it does is satisfy personal curiousity.  The Pyrrhuloxia records surprised me a bit.

                  Doug Hansen, Great Falls
                  Your suggestions are indeed good ones, although there is more than a bit of work involved. For one thing, we are finding that sorting the individual older records of some of the rare species is tedious. We have been working hard as a committee to resolve past records, and (as Jeff pointed out) to rapidly put the annual minutes up on the website. Over time, including a link to a summary of past records may indeed be possible.

                  As for Tracker, there are two level of access. Those with agency clearance can see the details of each individual sighting, but those without get slightly more generalized results. I am not sure why certain species are excluded from the selection menu, without the full access, though (I confirmed tonight that this is the case). That seems wrong, and I will see what can be done to include all species at the primary menu. Coburn, if you are reading these, can this be resolved?

                  MBRC Chairman

                  --- In MOB-Montana@ yahoogroups. com, "Douglas Hansen" <dhansen01@. ..> wrote:

                  > Well, taking the "tracker" suggestion, I picked some "rare" birds off the MAS website and then I tried tracker -- some "rare" birds, but certainly not all "rare" birds are in the tracker species listings -- for example arctic tern is there, but not scarlet tanager, summer tanager, iceland gull, or lesser black-backed gull. One does get a geographical description, but only if the bird is listed on the tracker lists.
                  >
                  > Maybe there is little time for the programming adjustment on MAS website listings, and maybe there is little availability of a programmer to install the descriptive features. Tracker resources are, also, inadequate where the same information is concerned.
                  >
                  > Now, with the suggestion out there, perhaps a programmer will come forward and make an adjustment -- OR -- Maybe someone at MAS would take note of the suggestion and put it on their 'things to do' list.
                  >
                  > One other comment -- once a comprehensive rare bird records enhancement is made, the only updates would need to come immediately after the records committee meets.
                  >
                  > Doug Hansen, Great Falls

                • Jeff Marks
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 11, 2009
                    Doug,

                    I suspect from your last message that you are looking only at the map and not the actual records. Let's use Summer Tanager as an example. After you get the map, click on the little square in the lower right corner of the page. Then click on Observation Details, then on the bird name ("Summer Tanager" in this case). Voila, the list of records for that species pops up in reverse chronologic order. You can see that there are actually 5 records, although many of us do not believe the first one from back in 1920. You saw only 4 records on the map because 2 are from the same Billings latilong (alas, the Fishtail report was not accepted).

                    Using Tracker is clunky, but if you persevere and use it enough to get used to it, you will find a wealth of information.

                    Jeff Marks

                    In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Hansen" <dhansen01@...> wrote:

                    Yup! Found the lists which Jeff referenced. Looked up some of my favorites. Noticed that Centennial Valley had a record for Summer Tanager -- obviously was added as the 4th such record -- but not a record for Fishtail. Still, it would be a helpful to to know what the last (most previous) record is, even if all it does is satisfy personal curiousity. The Pyrrhuloxia records surprised me a bit.

                    Doug Hansen, Great Falls
                  • Currier, Coburn
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 14, 2009

                      Doug, Dan, and MOB,

                      I have been reading the posts here’s what up. All rare birds are on the generalized observations tab, but you’re both correct in that most of the rare species are not under the single species overview tab.  The difference is that most rare birds do not have a state range map, and the only real difference for general public user between the two tabs is that state range is an option in the single species overview – without a state range map, there was no reason to include the species on the single species overview section.  There are others products available (point locations, structured surveys, etc.) to agency level users in the single species overview and that’s why agency level users can see all the rare species under that tab.  I’ve already put into motion getting all the rest of the rare species to show under the Single Species Overview tab for general public users.  There still won’t be a range map – that option will be grayed out to indicate the lack of a state range map in MT – but people can view what is available.  All of the tabular data is identical in both tabs, so there is no difference there.

                      I hope that makes sense and if not you’re more than welcome to email or call me directly.

                      Coburn

                      Your suggestions are indeed good ones, although there is more than a bit of work involved. For one thing, we are finding that sorting the individual older records of some of the rare species is tedious. We have been working hard as a committee to resolve past records, and (as Jeff pointed out) to rapidly put the annual minutes up on the website. Over time, including a link to a summary of past records may indeed be possible.

                      As for Tracker, there are two level of access. Those with agency clearance can see the details of each individual sighting, but those without get slightly more generalized results. I am not sure why certain species are excluded from the selection menu, without the full access, though (I confirmed tonight that this is the case). That seems wrong, and I will see what can be done to include all species at the primary menu. Coburn, if you are reading these, can this be resolved?

                      MBRC Chairman

                      --- In MOB-Montana@ yahoogroups. com, "Douglas Hansen" <dhansen01@. ..> wrote:

                      > Well, taking the "tracker" suggestion, I picked some
                      "rare" birds off the MAS website and then I tried tracker -- some "rare" birds, but certainly not all "rare" birds are in the tracker species listings -- for example arctic tern is there, but not scarlet tanager, summer tanager, iceland gull, or lesser black-backed gull. One does get a geographical description, but only if the bird is listed on the tracker lists.

                      > Maybe there is little time for the programming adjustment on MAS website
                      listings, and maybe there is little availability of a programmer to install the descriptive features. Tracker resources are, also, inadequate where the same information is concerned.

                      > Now, with the suggestion out there, perhaps a programmer will come forward
                      and make an adjustment -- OR -- Maybe someone at MAS would take note of the suggestion and put it on their 'things to do' list.

                      > One other comment -- once a comprehensive rare bird records enhancement is
                      made, the only updates would need to come immediately after the records committee meets.

                      > Doug Hansen, Great Falls

                      w:st="on">OR 97206
                      > 503-774-4783
                      > Birds of Montana
                      Project
                      > http://mtaudubon. org/
                      > ************ *****

                    • Ratz, Dave
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 17, 2009

                        Hi all,

                        I’ve had a task on my list for a while to fix the “drop down lists” in the Single Species Overview to include all the species, whether we have a range map or not.

                        You’ve spurred me to wipe that task off my list and you can now find the Scarlet Tanager and other birds on the Single Species Overview in the Heritage Tracker.  http://mtnhp.org/tracker/

                        Thanks for nudging me forward :^)

                        Ratz

                        Web Projects Manager

                        Heritage - Montana State Library

                        dratz@...                             406-444-5691

> [...]

                        > Maybe there is little time for the programming adjustment on MAS website
                        listings, and maybe there is little availability of a programmer to install the descriptive features. Tracker resources are, also, inadequate where the same information is concerned.

                        > Now, with the suggestion out there, perhaps a programmer will come forward
                        and make an adjustment -- OR -- Maybe someone at MAS would take note of the suggestion and put it on their 'things to do' list.

                        > One other comment -- once a comprehensive rare bird records enhancement is
                        made, the only updates would need to come immediately after the records committee meets.

                      • Daniel
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 17, 2009
                          Dave:

                          Thanks! The more user-friendly Tracker can be, the better.

                          Dan Casey
                          MBRC Chairman