Pine Grosbeak, and more winter finches arrive!

  • birdbrainjwc@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2009
      Friday, Saturday and Sunday my mom and I did a lot of hunting, trying to get some food in the freezer.

      Friday, we went down to lion creek off the swan highway. Down here I saw a few Gray Jays and 2(now 1) Ruffed Grouse.

      Not much in the way of birds Saturday

      Sunday we hunted a friends property off of Mooring rd. South of Columbia Falls. In this large forest, I heard many Evening Grosbeaks, and one very vocal Pine Grosbeak!!! That is great, and maybe a sign that we may still have a large influx of Pine Grosbeaks this winter. We ran into a large flock of White-winged Crossbills feeding ravenously in the spruce and fir cones, also hopefully a sign. I also heard a small group of other winter finch-like birds, I think were Redpolls.

      At Kokanee Bend on the Flathead River in Columbia Falls, there was many Townsend's Solitares, and many woodpeckers. Downy and Hairy were the most abundant with Northern Flicker and Pileated right behind. Also several flocks of chickadees with Brown Creepers mixed in.

      See my blog for a similar report and pictures of my first buck! - www.covillbirder.blogspot.com

      Good Luck Birding
      Josh