agree

  • webedod0453
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
      I agree with Alan Nelson. Enough! Please take your bickering off-list and don't subject the rest of MOB to your differences of opinion.

      Respectfully,
      Wendy Dodson
      Troy, MT

      Re: [MOB-Montana] Re: Freezout---Snow Geese -> global warming

      I'm tired of your quibbling, let it drop please!!!!!!!!! Alan Nelson
    • lbvireo
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
        I agree as well. Please take all opinions elsewhere - Jim Greaves, Thompson Falls

        --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "webedod0453" <webedod0453@...> wrote:

        > I agree with Alan Nelson. Enough! Please take your bickering off-list and don't subject the rest of MOB to your differences of opinion.
        >
        > Respectfully,
        > Wendy Dodson
        > Troy, MT
        >
        > Re: [MOB-Montana] Re: Freezout---Snow Geese -> global warming
        >
        > I'm tired of your quibbling, let it drop please!!!!!!!!! Alan Nelson

      • JOSHUA
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2009
          Perhaps MOBsters should enshrine in a policy somewhere what subjects are considered "opinion" so that these subjects can be avoided. Maybe this would make most of us happier. What seems like fact to one person seems like opinion to another.

          For example, the vast majority of scientists believe in evolution (above 95% depending on who is doing the polling), while a majority of the American public does not believe in evolution (only about 45% believe, again depending on who is asking). To me then, referring to evolutionary lineages, like say Corvidae, should be considered controversial opinion, if MOB is not composed primarily of scientists.

          Global warming, also being a lightning rod issue, should clearly be considered a controversial opinion among the American public, although again less so among scientists (84% of scientists believe in human-caused global warming, but only 49% of the public, according to a 2009 Pew poll).

          What I'm saying is that I doubt MOB is composed primarily of scientists. It seems to me to mostly be about people who just want to enjoy and talk casually about birds and life lists. Perhaps I'm wrong. Scientists are comfortable with defending and attacking ideas all day long, but I think John Q. Public finds that very distasteful, and these kinds of discussion can ruin his enjoyment of something like MOB.

          Maybe whenever something like this comes up, an admin could put up a poll on the MOB site. This poll could simply ask, "Should we prohibit list talk about global warming?" And if 2/3 agree, then we prohibit it. We can't make everyone happy all the time, but we can at least be democratic about it.

          Josh in Helena