Pine Siskins

  • Sid Frissell
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 6, 2009
      Over the last year I don't think I've had more than one or two Pine
      Siskins at my feeders and only every few months. This past week and
      currently, we have a flock of sosme 20 to 25 at the thistle feeder all
      day every day! The usual occasional Siskin we see has relatively
      little yellow on it. Just a faint suggestion of wing bars. This
      current flock is extremely yellow, on wings and tail and in big
      patches. They don't appear to be "locals".

      Sid Frissell
      Stevensville, on hill east of Metcalf NWR
    • lbvireo
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 6, 2009
        Sid - You appear to have our Siskins! We had lots of yellowish and "regular" ones a couple weeks ago and all last "fall" starting in mid August. We haven't had more than a couple since an early August influx this year; ditto Evening grosbeaks. Complete switch from last year this time, when we 100's of each starting in August and lasting many weeks! And, no berries on our ash, thus no sapsuckers since one brief appearance early in August. Small flock of Cedar waxwing still around as are a couple of Western tanagers; one this afternoon was chased by a very small, fast hawk. Don't know the outcome nor predator, but assume merlin by size and speed [not as lumbering nor as large as recent Sharpie]. Catbird still meows in the mornings.

        Friday, Camas Prairie still alive with at least 4 species of sparrow: Lark, Savannah, Vesper, and Chipping, all in various stages of molt and age, making for a panoply of plumages designed to confound (1 bird I'd hoped to "make into" Brewer's seems likely a faded adult Chipping, though I have 2 opinions outstanding on it and leave it as Spizella sp [leaning CHSP]), House Finch and English Sparrow round out the "finch" types; several families, and 2 pairs of Barn swallows still tending and/or building. A fly-over COMMON NIGHTHAWK seemed late, given that we saw 40 or so in loose flock at the other end of the prairie a month ago. 6 BLACK-NECKED STILT in center of Thompson Falls reservoir on Friday the first since spring and D-c Cormorants still fishing; a one-legged CA gull [absent left foot below joint] yesterday had fish line around its right foot; too far for rescue, and the bird can still fly which would only stress it further. Alas, so much fish line lying about, left by irresponsible fishing folk who give majority a bad rep - I hope everyone coils up as much of that stuff as you can find whenever you're out and about... Happy trailli - Jim, Thompson Falls

        --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, Sid Frissell <sfrissell@...> wrote:

        > Over the last year I don't think I've had more than one or two Pine
        > Siskins at my feeders and only every few months. This past week and
        > currently, we have a flock of sosme 20 to 25 at the thistle feeder[snipped>
        > Sid Frissell
        > Stevensville
      • Sid Frissell
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 9, 2010
          All summer long I have rarely seen more than two or three Pine Siskins
          at a time and only about once a month. On Sept. 3, three showed at
          the thistle feeder and hung around. On the 4th there were five. Then
          I took down my small oil seed feeder and put up a platform feeder
          about 3' x 3' in area. On Sept. 5th I had ten Siskins, today, Sept 9
          the feeder is completely covered with Siskins--some 20 to 25 at a
          time. The even have crowded out the House Finches! Anyone else
          experiencing a Siskin invasion?

          Sid Frissell
          Stevensville
        • Jeannie Marcure
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 9, 2010
            We've had Siskins in large #'s like you're describing most of the summer!  It's the first time in the 9 years that we've lived here that we've had any flocks like that.  We've also had 15-20 Evening Grosbeaks off & on for most of the summer.  The new interest at our feeders now is a family of several Blue Jays.  After seeing them the first time (right before Labor Day) we started putting out a few peanuts  on a stool on our deck and they seem to be "hooked" arriving around 7 or so each morning to see if there are any more.

            Enjoy those birds!!

             May you always hear the whisper of wings!

            Jeannie

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 9, 2010
              I've had a crowd of siskins this last month too.

              --
              Jackie
            • Sid Frissell
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 9, 2010
                That's two in a row who have responded to my message re. Siskins, but
                neither of you said where you are located!
              • Carlene Farmer
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 9, 2010
                  we have had a "ton" of siskins all summer.  the grosbeaks have been back in full force for about a week.  i just went out to refill the feeders.

                  Carlene Farmer
                  Clancy

                  On 9/9/2010 2:48 PM, Sid Frissell wrote:

                  That's two in a row who have responded to my message re. Siskins, but
                  neither of you said where you are located!

                • barthoag
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 9, 2010
                    We've had 10-15 Pine Siskins off and on all summer, which is unusual enough, but 3 days ago the number sky rocketed! I have not been able to get an accurate count but there are well over 80 at times. The ground under the feeders fairly seethes with movement, borders on the bizarre actually.
                    Bart Hoag
                    Darby

                    --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, Sid Frissell <sfrissell@...> wrote:

                    > All summer long I have rarely seen more than two or three Pine Siskins
                    > at a time and only about once a month. On Sept. 3, three showed at
                    > the thistle feeder and hung around. On the 4th there were five. Then
                    > I took down my small oil seed feeder and put up a platform feeder
                    > about 3' x 3' in area. On Sept. 5th I had ten Siskins, today, Sept 9
                    > the feeder is completely covered with Siskins--some 20 to 25 at a
                    > time. The even have crowded out the House Finches! Anyone else
                    > experiencing a Siskin invasion?
                    >
                    > Sid Frissell
                    > Stevensville

                  • Jackie Wilson

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 10, 2010
                        Sid, Bart, and Mobsters,

                        Also seeing many Pine Siskins at seed feeders, just west of the town of Hamilton and also 5 miles east.
                         Still seeing a few juvenile hummingbirds of all 3 sp. Calliope , Rufous and Black-chinned using maintained feeders.

                        Many here in the area plan to again maintain a hummingbird feeder well into October for possible arriving, and passing through,  Anna's hummingbirds.

                        Ned and Gigi Batchelder
                        Hamilton

                        We've had 10-15 Pine Siskins off and on all summer, which is unusual enough, but 3 days ago the number sky rocketed! I have not been able to get an accurate count but there are well over 80 at times. The ground under the feeders fairly seethes with movement, borders on the bizarre actually.
                        Bart Hoag
                        Darby

                        --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, Sid Frissell <sfrissell@...> wrote:

                        > All summer long I have rarely seen more than two or three Pine Siskins
                        > at a time and only about once a month. On Sept. 3, three showed at
                        > the thistle feeder and hung around. On the 4th there were five. Then
                        > I took down my small oil seed feeder and put up a platform feeder
                        > about 3' x 3' in area. On Sept. 5th I had ten Siskins, today, Sept 9
                        > the feeder is completely covered with Siskins--some 20 to 25 at a
                        > time. The even have crowded out the House Finches! Anyone else
                        > experiencing a Siskin invasion?
                        >
                        > Sid Frissell
                        > Stevensville

                      • Sid Frissell
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 30, 2010
                          Has anyone else experienced a sudden Pine Siskin disappearance? The
                          50 or so Siskins that have been visiting my oil seed feeder every day,
                          almost all day, since September 3 all went elsewhere on September 27.
                          Not a one in sight here since. I feel positively shunned! If it only
                          could have been the Starlings instead!

                          Anyway, is this a area wide move or just local to my yard?

                          Sid Frissell
                          Stevensville
                        • vireoman2004
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 30, 2010
                            We have had a "lower" than we thought "normal" number of Siskins this year. The trees are alive with your nemesis starlings however, mixed with calls of Red-winged blackbirds, and lower than what I think would be "usual" cedar waxwings and robins... We have had one kinglet (Rc) for several days, and today a Wilson's warbler joined the two or so Yellow-rumped warblers, but did not come to the watering hole as they do. Catbird flicking wings and tail among robins across the street and a Yellowthroat foraging around our part of town a few days ago about the only "unusual" birds for the date... - Jim and Lark, Thompson Falls

                            --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, Sid Frissell <sfrissell@...> wrote:

                            > Has anyone else experienced a sudden Pine Siskin disappearance? The
                            > 50 or so Siskins that have been visiting my oil seed feeder every day,
                            > almost all day, since September 3 all went elsewhere on September 27.
                            > Not a one in sight here since. I feel positively shunned! If it only
                            > could have been the Starlings instead!
                            >
                            > Anyway, is this a area wide move or just local to my yard?
                            >
                            > Sid Frissell
                            > Stevensville

                          • Jackie
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 5, 2010
                              Hi all,
                              I still have a flock of about 10 pine siskins at my feeder in Bozeman.