Broad-tailed Hummingbird in the Madison Valley

  • Garrett MacDonald
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2009
      Hi Mobsters,

      Bo Crees and I had a good bird today at the Bear Creek Cabin in the Madison Valley south of Ennis (where we're currently living). As I was doing dishes, a male Broad-tailed Hummingbird flew to within inches of the window in our front door (which was shut) and hovered there for not more than 2 seconds. I looked in Skaar, and as far as I could tell, there aren't any records for the Madison Valley. Since Skaar is a little outdated, does anyone know of any more recent records? Maybe some of the Bozeman birders would know.

      I was quite surprised to see this bird after just getting my state Broad-tailed this past weekend in Red Lodge.

      Also, the Eastern Meadowlark is still showing nicely. Bo and I had a great time with all of you who were able to make the trip!

      Good birding everyone,

      Garrett MacDonald
      currently in Ennis, MT
      birdman2005@...
    • Jeremy Roberts
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2009
        Garrett-

        I've picked up many broad-tailed hummers in the upper Madison Valley. Around Quake Lake is a great place to find them as well.

        Cheers,

        Jeremy Roberts