Ft. Peck sightings

  • Chuck Carlson
    Message 1 of 57 , Sep 8, 2006
      Mobsters

      Had an interesting afternoon in the yard today. We had a White-throated Sparrow, a White-crowned Sparrow and an American Tree Sparrow. For warblers we had Magnolia, Yellow, and Yellow-rumped (one of each). Also seen were a Gray Catbird, Northern Flicker, a flock of about 8 Pine Siskins, one Rose-breasted Grosbeak, several Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers, two Black-capped Chickadees, a Gray-cheeked Thrush and a Swainson's Thrush plus some of the other regulars. I am posting some photos of these birds in my album.  Also one photo of an Osprey I took on Thursday.

      Chuck Carlson
      Ft. Peck  Mt
    • Chuck Carlson
      Message 57 of 57 , Sep 23, 2007
        Mobsters

        I was crossing the dam here this afternoon and saw a lot of Western Grebes on the lake. I scoped the lake and was able to count 500 from one spot on the dam. There many more. The birds were scattered over the surface with no concentrations in any one place. Some were close in and there were others as so far out that I could just make them out. I have had fisherman tell me that they have traveled for miles on the lake and the birds were just as thick all along the trip as when they started.

        Also saw what I assume will be my last Common Yellowthroat of the year near the Winter Harbor. The yard has been fairly busy whenever the Sharpie isn't in the area, but it has been quiet for a lot of the day. Nothing of note lately, except I had to take the sapsucker sp. off the yard list. I was able to replace it though with a definite Yellow-bellied Sapsucker juvenile.

        There are still near 100 Am. White Pelicans on the river and a lot of Ring-billed Gulls. There are only a few Franklin's Gulls left. No winter gulls yet, it's a bit early.

        Chuck Carlson
        Ft. Peck  MT