Goldfinches

  • Rab Cummings
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 7:51 AM
      "Goldfinches" by Mary Oliver from Owls and Other Fantasies:
      Poems and Essays. © Beacon Press.

      Goldfinches

      Some goldfinches were having a melodious argument
      at the edge of a puddle. The birds wanted to bathe, or
      perhaps just to dip their heads and look at themselves,
      and they were having trouble with who should be
      first, and so on. So they discussed it while I stood in
      the distance, listening. Perhaps in Tibet, in the old
      holy places, they also have such fragile bells. Or are
      these birds really just that, bells come to us—come to
      this road in America—let us bow our heads and
      remember now how we used to do it, say a prayer.
      Meanwhile the birds bathe and splash and have a
      good time. Then they fly off, their dark wings open—
      ing from their bright, yellow bodies; their tiny feet,
      all washed, clasping the air.