Medicine Lake

  • Beth Madden
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2009
      Here in Med Lake we have had plenty of the northern sparrows, unlike other NE MT posters of late. A few white-crowned sparrows arrived 4/24, and then on 4/28 we welcomed many more, along with lots of white-throated sparrows, and a few Lincoln's sparrows. Been so nice having the windows open and their songs filling the house! This weekend some warblers began gracing the yard...an orange-crowned on Sat night, then yellow-rumps yesterday, and a male Wilson's warbler this morning. FOS Harris sparrow today as well, and a broad-winged hawk soaring over town. The Refuge is lovely now, too, with lots of water in the wetlands and good soil moisture greening up the prairies. Birds galore.

      Beth Madden
    • BethM
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2009
        Hi all,
        In watching the gang of pine siskins that has been at my thistle feeder for a few days, I just noticed the first of the season common redpoll among them!
        Also, I saw an immature gyrfalcon 10/29, on Hwy 16 near the Refuge entrance.
        Has been a nice fall for waterfowl here - tundra swans, ducks, cranes etc plentiful - nice that the drought subsided this year. Right now there are thousands of white-fronted and snow geese in the area...commuting around and filling the skies with their busy-sounding voices. They spent yesterday and last night down by the Hwy 16 bridge on the Refuge, with great viewing opps.

        Having a bit of mild fall weather here, for a change!
        Beth Madden
        Medicine Lake
      • Stephen Hayes
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 10, 2015
        Heyoh

        Although I have been to Medicine Pake NWR many times this year, I just wanted to share the bounty of todays trip. Pretty quiet though in Northeast Montana.