Re: [MOB-Montana] Snow Buntings and Ferruginous Hawk Welcome!

  • Chuck Carlson
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
      Barb and MOB

      Just a point of interest - At one time the Ferruginous Hawk and Rough-legged Hawk were combined as the Ferruginous Rough-leg.

      Chuck Carlson
      Ft. Peck  MT

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2009
        Hi Chuck,

        In the 19th and early 20th centuries the two species were placed in the genus Archibuteo, A. lagopus being the Rough-legged Hawk and A. ferrugineus (now regalis) the Ferruginous Rough-leg.  I'm reasonably certain that the two species were never combined into one, however.

        Jeff

        *****************
        Jeff Marks
        4241 SE Liebe Street
        Portland, OR 97206
        503-774-4783
        Birds of Montana Project
        http://mtaudubon.org/
      • Chuck Carlson
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2009
          MOB

          I stand corrected -  Ferruginous Rough-leg Hawk was always a separate species from Rough-legged Hawk. Thanks Jeff.

          Chuck Carlson
          Ft. Peck  MT