The latest BUZZ

  • Richard Mousel
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
      Greetings: It's looking like a great year for hummingbirds in Great Falls, I've had at least four at once in my yard, maybe a family of calliope, also had both M & F rufous. Sure wish they would learn to share! but until they do I guess I need to put out lots of feeders, four at present and more to come. I would like to know which feeders work best for you? easiest to clean? Which small feeder works best, my hummingbirds only go thru an ounce or two a day, it seems a waste to have large feeders. But what ever works best the hummers get!
      Which flowers are working best in your yards? The hummers seem especially interested in my bee balm, then the hollyhocks, they have checked out most everything in my yard, including my corn silk, they seem intrigued by the yellow finch feeders and have checked them out on numerous occasions.
      Thank You, for your input!
      Sincerely;
      Richard Mousel
      Wild Bird Mercantile
      rmousel@...
      The Colour Outdoors - Wildlife Stock Agency Photography
      Richard Mousel -STOCK Pictures- www.4co.us  -  www.fox-park.com  -PRINTS
      5420 14th  ST  S - Great Falls,  MT  59405-8254
      1-406-727-0095
    • Richard Mousel
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
          Richard,
          It has been another terrific year for hummers at my place. I live
          on Fred Burr Creek and 4 years ago had no hummers for the first 6
          weeks, but with feeders and planting that has improved greatly. I
          live in a Ponderosa Pine forest overlooking a creek, and now hav 5
          feeders. I have had Calliope, Rufous and Black-chinned this year and
          have had about 300 birds banded. Now that the birds have bred and
          fledged I go through about 4.5 quarts of nectar each day. As to
          cleaning I clean them daily as each is emptied,a ndI placed a drop or
          two of Clorox in the glass container and the recepticle and swish it
          with hot water and have had no problems at all. I use the 1 quart
          glass containers, and tried the new Texas feeder which seems to work fine.
          As for plants, it seems to be important to have small shrubs and
          trees for the birds to use as a staging area. The flowers that seem
          to attract the hummers for me are: delphinium, foxglove and bee balm.

          Patrick