Re: Helena gull photos

  • Nate Kohler
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
      Dan,

      Thanks for your thoughts on the Helena gull photos.

      I find myself struggling with the first year " Montana Thayer's ",
      always finding them a little bit darker than most references
      illustrate. Those small white crescent tips on the ( lighter than
      your average Herring ) primaries do catch the eye. The Herring Gull
      seems to have much darker primaries with almost nonexistant light
      crescents. I do regret, however, that we did not get a look at the
      the primaries in flight - that was the one clue left unseen.

      Your knowledge of Montana gulls is inexhaustible and always
      appreciated.

      Nate Kohler
      Deer Lodge

      --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Casey" <caseys4@...> wrote:

      > Nate et al:
      >
      > I agree that the three birds are Glaucous, GWGUxWEGU, and
      Thayer's.