Re: [MOB-Montana] binocular replies

  • Craig Messerman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11 10:40 AM
      I'll add another one:  The binocular thread came at a perfect time for me, and I just made a purchase. I spent two long sessions at a Scope City store in Sherman Oaks, California, where the knowledgeable folks were big on the Olympus Magellan EXWP roof prism models, which are in my $300 price range. The main comparison we made was with the Pentax DCF SP, which are in the $600 range, and I couldn't see any difference in the limited testing we did looking at palm fruits and fake roof owls. On the second trip I took in my Nikon Naturalist IV's and there I could see a huge difference. They didn't have the Nikon Monarchs, which I would have liked to compare.  Anyway I bought the 10x42 model for $289 and I'm very pleased. And I added a couple of life birds to my paltry life list: Black Phoebe and California Towhee.
      Peace,
      Craig Messerman
      Missoula

      On Jul 5, 2006, at 2:18 PM, Barbara Quinlan wrote:

      Thanks so much, all of you who responded. They were definitely
      helpful. I am now officially a resident of Montana again, after a
      two-year hiatus in Michigan. Just today, I read all the recent
      postings, since we were travelling across country last week. Again, I
      appreciated the responses. Barbara Q