I've Got the Blues

  • Garrett MacDonald
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9, 2006
      Mobbers,

      I made the trek to the Billings/Bridger area last night and was
      pleased to find most of the rarities that have recently been seen.
      First off, I showed up at the Lesser Goldfinch spot at 7 PM last
      night (Saturday) and after I found the right location, I had 2,
      possibly 3 goldfinches. They were calling and actively flying around
      the steep box canyon where they had previously been seen. Next, I
      looked for the Dickcissel that was first found 2 weeks ago in the
      field at the intersection of H87 and Main Street in the Billings
      Heights. I began pishing and immediately what I'm fairly sure was the
      Dickcissel flew up from the grass and way over to the other side of
      the field. This morning (Sunday), I arrived at the Blue Grosbeak spot
      at 6:30 AM and immediately heard the male singing and then had
      excellent looks at him as he perched on the top of a tree and then
      flew right past me. Next, I went after the Black-throated Blue
      Warbler. On the way to the site, in the fields along Pryor Mtn. Road,
      I had some fun birds, including Long-billed Curlew, Upland Sandpiper,
      Lark Bunting, and Greater Sage Grouse. I reached the BTBW spot at 8
      and it wasn't 9 AM until I finally heard the bird sing from the
      opposite side of the canyon. I left the road and headed toward the
      bird, and eventually had great looks as it constantly sang and fed in
      the conifers along the canyon edge. Great bird! It was good to get
      home after driving 900 miles in 26 hours looking for these birds!

      Good Birding!

      Garrett MacDonald
      Missoula, MT
      birdman2005@...