Helena Valley Shorebirds

  • Bob Martinka
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2008
      MOB:

      Taking a hint from the most recent Schwitters Freezout shorebird
      report, I made a quick mid-morning trip into the Helena Valley. Lake
      Helena had a nice pulse of shorebirds after a several day hiatus, but
      the variety could not match Freezout. The Helena Valley Reservoir had
      some shorebirds but not much variety. However, the water levels are
      quite low on this body for this time of year and should provide good
      shorebird habitat - especially on the east side - for the next several
      months if it stay low.

      Species on both bodies were mostly Baird's, semi-palmated sandpipers,
      many yellowlegs, and perhaps a few each of 4-5 other species.

      Bob Martinka
    • birder_bob
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2012
        Water levels at the Helena Valley Regulating Res. are low enough to provide good shoreline/mudflat habitat for shorebirds. This morning, areas on either side of the dam and on the east side of the area had species including: both yellowlegs, least, Baird's, and solitary sandpipers, snipe, phalaropes, killdeer, and probably other species I was not able to ID because of distances. The birds were mostly scattered and a canoe or kayak would provide better opportunities for viewing at closeup ranges. Hopefully, the water levels will remain low into the fall because this body of water can provide good shorebird viewing opportunities.

        Bob Martinka