Birding Glacier and Columbia Falls

  • Joshua Covill
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2008
      Sorry for not being on the MOB it a while. I have been quite busy
      with others things.

      A young birder friend of mine from Bozeman spent a week at my house
      last week. We got to see some really cool birds. We went done to
      Rivers Edge Park in Columbia Falls, and saw VEERIES every time we went
      there.

      Also another young birder friend of mine spent the same week in
      Polebridge, so on Sunday, the 27th, Dan Casey agreed the spending the
      day birding with us in Glacier NP. That was really fun. We missed
      Ptarmigan, and Boreal Chickadee, but we did get great looks at Pipits,
      Rosy-Finches, and White-winged Crossbills. The Crossbills were a
      lifer for both of my friends (Andrew from Bozeman, and David from Georgia)

      We also went to McGee meadows and the burns in that area. We did see
      one White-winged Crossbill there, so WOO HOO!!! In the county!!

      After birding in Glacier, we went down to splitpond. the usual early
      migrants. No Red-necked Phalaropes yet.

      At the bike path near Somers, I got my county year list Spotted
      Towhee, and Andrew got his lifer Nashville Warbler.

      Thank you so much Dan, for taking all of us birding. It was the
      highlight of the week.

      On Thursday night, Andrew and I went to Pete Smiths to see if we could
      see a Barred Owl. We did, we got amazing looks at them. That was
      Andrew favorite lifer.

      All in all, it was a great week. I am now up to 193 for the county
      for the year. Just a few more I I will have reached my goal of 200.

      Thanks again to Dan, and also the Andrew family for letting him spend
      a week up here.

      Good Luck Birding
      Josh