Re: [MOB-Montana] Blue Grosbeak

  • Barb Jaquith
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 6 10:54 AM
      Jeff

      I have many photos of the Grosbeaks. Unfortunately none of them show the rump area. We have been watching closely for the blue that you mentioned and for the barring that should show in the rump of the female. Must admit that we were very busy trying to get good photos. They usually show more than we can see in the field.

      Barb and Stan

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 21, 2011
        There has been no sign of the Blue Grosbeaks at the usualplace on Pryor Road this year. Last checked yesterday, playing tape at several spots along the road where we have had singing males the last few years, with narry a peep in response. They may have not returned at all. or may be nearby, but not near the road. Stan Heath
        kbh.eah.sah@...
      • stanaheath
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 31 11:41 AM

          On 8/30 Raylene Wall and Stan Heath saw a male Blue Grosbeak on Pryor Mtn Road about 1/2 mile before the RR X-ing and just before the left turn,The bird was perched in the open on the right side of the road in mixed tree/shrub area.  Call stan if you need further directions  425-1791.  2 brown thrashers after the pond.  Broad-winged hawk up Nichol's Creek west of Red Lodge.   Stan Heath

        • stanaheath
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1

            On 6/28 Trenay Hart found the blue grosbeaks on pryor mtn road in carbon county singing in two places.

            One was before the railroad crossing and the other after the pond and just before the redtail cliff nest.

            These birds are apparently just late arrivals and nesters.  Stan Heath at kbh.eah.sah@...

          • vagapaddler
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 3
              MOB,

              For us eBird snoopers I'm glad to see that we finally got a second accurate Lat/long for the Pryor Mountain Rd Blue Grosbeak.  Thanks, Andy.  Of the few previous submissions Nate's is the only one that seems to be anywhere close to the location described in MOB posts over the years.

              Mike Lesnik
              NE Fergus County