Pic's Posted

  • Joe Wiles
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2008
      Hey guys, just put up some pictures from the last week. I took the
      gull picture at Ft. Peck lake, and the rest at my window feeder.
      Would love to get feed back on better picture taking, all I have is a
      Kodak easy share V530.

      Joe
    • Bob Conway
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 10, 2008

        Dear Joe,

        Back when we used film, there basically was Kodak and Fuji.  Both saw color slightly differently but they were consistent and you got used to whichever one you preferred.  Once developed with consistent time and chemistry you were stuck with what you shot except for some minor changes that your printing lab could make.

        Now comes digital where the film is replaced with a sensor.  The sensor and camera software “develop” the image when taken.  The trouble begins when the sensors are not consistent from camera to camera (even within the same brands). Most sensors, even within the most expensive cameras, have a slight color shift.  Camera software is also not consistent.  Some use “Raw” which is not developed at all, while others use other formats (JPEG being the most popular).  Some cameras have settings which allow you to choose the amount of “development” that you want.  If you take your memory cards to Costco, Wal-mart etc. their equipment make judgments and further develop your print.  It is not uncommon not to get the same quality with a reprint from the same place and equipment.

        The answer for now is post-processing.  You use of software in your computer so that you control the development of your pictures.  The most popular post-processing programs are from Adobe in the form of Photoshop CS3 and it’s more affordable (and very capable) smaller brother Photoshop Elements 6.0  There are many similar programs out there in different price ranges.  You will need to shop around for something within your budget.

        For now, if you want the consistency of film you will have to do your own post-processing.

        Regarding your posted pictures, you are off to a decent start.  There is much to be learned about bird photography while shooting around your feeders.  One tip might be to “plant” a tree branch just off to the side of the feeder.  Birds frequently enjoy a perch while waiting their turn.  The picture on the perch will be more interesting without the feeder in view.

        Sorry to be long winded, but I hope this is of some help.

        Bob Conway

        Missoula

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 10, 2008
          Joe:

          The gull picture you posted looks like a Ring-billed.

          Have fun out there.

          --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Wiles" <sekoutdoors@...> wrote:

          > Hey guys, just put up some pictures from the last week. I took the
          > gull picture at Ft. Peck lake, and the rest at my window feeder.
          > Would love to get feed back on better picture taking, all I have is a
          > Kodak easy share V530.
          >
          > Joe

        • Joe Wiles
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 10, 2008
            Your right, I had the pics sitting next to each other and grabbed the
            wrong one, will get the caption corrected and thanks for catching it!

            Joe

            --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Casey" <caseys4@...> wrote:

            > Joe:
            >
            > The gull picture you posted looks like a Ring-billed.
            >
            > Have fun out there.
            >
            > Dan Casey
            > Somers
            >
            > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Wiles" <sekoutdoors@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey guys, just put up some pictures from the last week. I took the
            > > gull picture at Ft. Peck lake, and the rest at my window feeder.
            > > Would love to get feed back on better picture taking, all I have is a
            > > Kodak easy share V530.
            > >
            > > Joe

          • Joe Wiles
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 10, 2008
              Thanks for the info Bob, I really do want the feed back! I am a very
              novice photographer, and new to birding. So trying to meld what will
              work for me is sure to have a bump or two! I have never played with
              picture editing, so that should be some frustrating fun! I look
              forward to learning more each day and thank you for your advice.

              Joe

              --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Conway" <bobmargconway@...>