Sunday Morning - Missouri River/Giant Springs

  • Beth Hill
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2008
      Took my Sunday morning bike ride from West Bank to Giant Springs.  The river is down from its high point.  There are now exposed sand bars for the geese, gulls, mallards, pelicans, cormorants and a couple of terns for loafing.  The current is greatly decreased as well.  There should be some baby mallards paddling about but I haven't seen any since May.  Has anyone else noticed that the mallards seem to be molting already?
      I checked on my section of bird house trail (7 boxes).  The wrens have abandoned their efforts.  I have two families getting fed and three boxes with eggs.  One box has never had any activity.
      Not much on the river below Giant Springs except geese and mallards.  A quick walk through Giant Springs - cedar waxwing, bullock's oriole, western kingbird, least flycatcher, song sparrow, meadowlark, and many mourning doves, robins, house finches, catbirds and yellow warblers.  I heard something new, but could never spot the singer.  It was a two note, higher then lower.  Guess I need to listen to some bird songs of possible singers.

      Beth Hill
      Great Falls