Oh What a Beautiful Morning!

  • Sharon Dewart-Hansen
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2008
      Hello Fellow Birder's,

      Couldn't pass up such a beautiful morning to get out and "bird walk" We went down to Giant Springs and then walked down to L & C Center. There was quite a variety of feathered frolickers. As Doug says, the place was "lousy" with Yellow Warblers. They were everywhere! Other frolickers observed were: Swainson's Thrush, Hermit Thrush, Least Flycatcher, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, House Wren, Great Horned Owl, House Finch, Bullock's Oriole, Tree Swallow, Cliff Swallow, Violet-green Swallow, Warbling Vireo, Downey Woodpecker, Northern Flicker, Western Kingbird, Eastern Kingbird, Black-capped Chickadee, Brewer's Blackbird, Brown-headed Cowbird, American Robin,White-crowned Sparrow, Song Sparrow, Northern Waterthrush & Gray Catbird. On the river were Canada Goose, Mallard, Common Merganser, Common Goldeneye, Double-crested Cormorant, American Pelican, California Gull, Redheads. Waterfowl was greatly diminished from 2 weeks ago. It would seem that the faster & muddier river is not as welcoming. We might have to check out Benton Lake tomorrow to see who's hanging out there.

      Of note for bird house observers, box 12 is definitely being coveted by House Wrens, box 18 has a Northern Flicker and most of the rest we saw had Tree Swallows.
      Also, we found a couple of oddities, a "Cliff" Robin & a "Cliff" Wren. The Robin was already on a nest and the wren was checking out some old Cliff Swallow nests.

      Next week is the Festival. Hope to see many of you there!

      Sharon Dewart-Hansen
      Great Falls, MT