Wilson's Phalarope

  • Beth Hill
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2008
      West Bank Park keeps giving me more lifers.  One has to just look.
      This evening I was using my compact scope to look for the Common Loon that I saw tossing back some squirming creature and saw a couple of shorebird like birds swimming with all the Coots, No. Shovelers and Eared Grebes.  Closer examination matched Wilson's Phalaropes - a new bird for me.  Even fit the description - "if it is a swimming shorebird it is a phalarope".  I clocked in 33 species today - that I can recall in about an hour.  A few were FOY for me - Cormorant, Caspian Tern, Western Grebe, White-crowned sparrow and the Wilson's (of course).  There were quite a few Black-necked Stilts.  Great birding without the need of a car to get there!
      Our yard has been host to quite the gathering of Yellow-headed Blackbirds this week.
      Beth Hill
      Great Falls