Whooping Crane

  • Chuck Carlson
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2008
      Mobsters

      I've posted a photo of the crane that is at Medicine Lake NWR in my album. This was taken at a long distance, as you can probably tell. John and I had a nice quick trip to chase this bird down. It's my first Montana Whooping Crane. We decided to go at about 9:15, left at about 10:00 after John got here from Glasgow, saw the bird at about 12:30 and were back home a little after 5:00. It's a little over two hour drive from here to Medicine Lake NWR

      I've also posted a photo of a Green-winged Teal that I took at Medicine Lake. It really shows how a normally green gloss on a duck can appear blue.

      Chuck Carlson
      Ft. Peck  MT
    • dschiemann@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 22, 2013
        This is an old report, but I have just become a member, and the sighting is, for me and I thing most, rare and exciting!  In early October, 2012, I was leaving my garage at Riverside on the northwest side of Bozeman, when I heard a loud flock of what I thought were Sandhill Cranes flying toward me from the northwest.  I pulled my binoculars from the car and, lo and behold, the birds were not Sandhills, they were Whooping Cranes, white and voicing loud as they passed right over me.  There were about ten in the group, flying southeast.  Even recall is exciting....
        Donald
      • thomaskallmeyer
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 22, 2013

          Welcome Donald. Birding rules.

        • dschiemann@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 23, 2013
            Thomas:
            Did I make a mistake in posting this message?
            Donald

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 23, 2013

              I think it was meant to say Birding Rules! As in: Birding Rocks! Not: follow the rules of birding or posting on this page. 10 Whoopers does rule and so does birding!

            • Chuck Carlson
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 23, 2013
                Who is birder0288? There is no signature on the email.

                Chuck Carlson
                Moderator

                Sent: Monday, December 23, 2013 11:21 AM
                Subject: Re: [MOB-Montana] RE: Whooping Crane

                I think it was meant to say Birding Rules! As in: Birding Rocks! Not: follow the rules of birding or posting on this page. 10 Whoopers does rule and so does birding!

              • birder0288
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 23, 2013

                  Hi Chuck! My name is Hilary A. Turner. You showed me a Piping Plover at Fork Peck for the first time when I was probably 12 or 13. I'll be better about signing my name after commenting. I'm new.

                • thomaskallmeyer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 24, 2013
                    It was meant to say Birding Rules! Sorry about the slang there!
                  • Chuck Carlson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 24, 2013
                      There is no signature on this. Who is thomas@... and what is the location?

                      Chuck Carlson