Somers Birds

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2008
      MOB-sters:

      Our Harris's Sparrow continues. He was joined at the feeders yesterday
      by 3 Cassin's Finches, our first this winter. The Tundra Swans were
      feeding actively on the north shore of the lake last night, really
      rooting for aquatic plant rootstocks. I posted a series of shots
      showing how they get stained faces. Church Slough was still full of
      waterfowl this morning, and I have posted a photo of the Hooded
      Merganser x Common Goldeneye. Three Eurasian Wigeon, one hybrid, >1300
      American. Fewer scaup, and way fewer Canada Geese than there have been.

      Message 2 of 7 , May 25, 2008
        MOB-sters:

        I came home from Portland hoping for some of the good warbler fortune
        that has been "shining" on Montana. No such luck, but it is birdy
        here. Last night there were 5 species of gulls and 3 species of terns
        on the north shore, including two apparent faded, worn young Herring
        Gulls, Franklin's and Bonaparte's; Forster's, Caspian and Common
        Terns. Lots of Western Grebes as well.

        A check of the Split Pond today revealed a single Stilt Sandpiper,
        along witih Killdeer, Wilson's and Red-necked Phalaropes, Long-billed
        Dowitcher, an Avocet and a Spotted Sandpiper. Lots of swallows, but in
        spite of the suitable weather, no Black Swifts yet.

        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2010
          MOB-sters:

          Last night along the north shore of Flathead Lake just east of Somers there were >100 American Avocets, and at least 50 Bonaparte's Gulls in the evening roost, along with the usual California and Ring-billed Gulls. Our yard has a small swarm of White-crowned Sparrows, all migrant (Gambel's) rather than our resident subspecies. This morning they were joined by a bright Savannah Sparrow, a very infrequent yard bird for us, and one of the resident Blue Jays in the birdbath. No hummingbirds at our place yet!

          I got a phone message that Steve Cummings, who owns part of the "Split Pond" on North Somers Road, had a Great Egret there on Wednesday morning. I will look for that bird in the area tomorrow.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2012
            MOB-sters:

            After spending most of the past two weeks in Oregon, I was home today and explored around Somers, briefly. Saw my first small group of Bohemian Waxwings near Lakeside, an imm. Snow Goose along with some Lesser Canada Geese at the Somers Hatchery, and a nice variety of birds in Somers Bay, including a "pibald" American Coot.

            Dan Casey

            Somers Hatchery Flathead Lake, Flathead, US-MT

            Oct 27, 2012 4:34 PM - 4:49 PM
            Protocol: Stationary
            Comments:      <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.4.4
            9 species

            Snow Goose  1     Imm
            Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima)  14
            Canada Goose (parvipes)  5     Photographed. Clearly shorter-necked, with steeper forehead and narrower cheek patch, than our typical CANG (also present), and similar in size to accompanying Snow Goose:http://www.flickr.com/ photos/birdmansomers/ 8129282054/
            Northern Pintail  200
            Common Loon  1
            Bald Eagle  1     Subadult
            American Coot  85
            Black-billed Magpie  1
            Townsend's Solitaire  1

            Flathead Lake--Somers Bay, Flathead, US-MT
            Oct 27, 2012 4:57 PM - 5:20 PM
            Protocol: Traveling
            0.2 mile(s)
            Comments:      <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.4.4
            12 species

            Redhead  11
            Ring-necked Duck  3
            Bufflehead  51
            Common Goldeneye  3
            Hooded Merganser  2
            Ruddy Duck  1
            Common Loon  2
            Horned Grebe  6
            Red-necked Grebe  2
            Western Grebe  24
            American Coot  1950     One piebald (photographed):
            http://www.flickr.com/ photos/birdmansomers/ 8129256175/
            Northern Flicker  1

            Message 5 of 7 , May 27, 2013
              MOB-sters:

              Susannah and I had a nice mid-day hike along the Sonny Boone Memorial Bike Trail in Somers today. It looks like three of the four nest boxes we put up have Tree Swallows using them.  Lots of Calliope Hummingbirds on territory.  Willow Flycatchers still not here, and no Nashville Warbler in the usual location, but otherwise a nice mix of residents, migrants and flyovers:

              Sonny Boone Memorial Trail, Somers, Flathead, US-MT
              May 27, 2013 10:22 AM - 11:42 AM
              Protocol: Traveling
              2.1 mile(s)
              Comments:     <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.4.4
              53 species (+1 other taxa)

              Canada Goose  4
              Gadwall  2
              American Wigeon  1