Another (Richardson's?) Cackling Goose

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2008
      Mob-sters:

      During a check of the burgeoning waterfowl numbers at Church Slough
      between Kalispell and Somers today, I saw and photographed another
      bird that I believe fits well with an ID of "Richardson's" Cackling
      Goose. The separation of this subspecies, "Taverner's" Cackling
      Goose, and the "Lesser" Canada Goose (B.c. parvipes) is tricky at
      best, but as you can see from the 4 pictures I just posted, this very
      small bird was short-necked, lightish-chested, small-billed and had a
      moderately steep forehead, along with the frosted edges to the
      coverts/scapulars that would seem to indicate B.h. hutchinsii.

      Comments welcome. Thanks to those who have commented off-line on the
      previous (Somers) bird. Other totals at Church Slough today (times
      1700-1740):

      Canada Goose: 1215
      Mallard: 60
      Northern Pintail: 3