Regarding geese and serendipity

  • Jim Greaves
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2008
      On 01 Dec 2005, while birding in Santa Barbara CA, I was fortunate
      enough to observe 4 species of geese foraging closely together, getting
      all 4 in one frame as they fed towards and past me on Ocean Meadows
      Golf Course. I hope the photo I posted in my folder is of use to those
      sorting out the Canada-type complex - Jim Greaves, Thompson Falls
    • Michael Schwitters
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2008
        Jim and All,
        A very nice shot, and the species all look to be correctly identified.
        Now, what are the subspecies of the Canada and Cackling Geese? I would
        say the Cackling are Aleutian Cackling Geese based on location and white
        ring at the base of the neck. I don't know the southwest coast Canada
        subspecies enough to venture a guess. Note also that the Ross's Goose
        is a juvenile (they molt in many white feathers rather early in the winter)
        Thanks for sharing.
        I received a note this morning from a contact in Utah telling me that
        white geese have made it, in modest numbers so far, into the north end
        of the Great Salt Lake over the weekend, though they too still have lots
        of ice.
        Mike Schwitters
        Choteau MT