McCown's longspur viewing

  • Beth Madden
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
      Greetings,
      Could someone assist a birder visiting from Georgia this summer with
      guidance for seeing McCowns longspurs--she will be traveling Hwy 2
      from Medicine Lake to Glacier Park in mid-late June. She got one
      tip about Hwy 89 between Great Falls and Browning and was wondering
      for more ideas. She isn't a member of our MOB but reads it
      faithfully, so asked me to post and she will be checking in for a
      response. She thanks you in advance....

      As long as I am on, shall I share my Medicine Lake winter birds?
      Okay....at my feeders my regulars are about 5-10 redpolls, 6-8 house
      finches, a red-breasted nuthatch (it uses my thistle tube feeder
      faithfully--have never seen a nuthatch do that), 2 downys and 1 hairy
      woodpecker. A robin and a Townsend's solitaire are both wintering
      and using my water daily--unusual. Also about 30 Bohemian waxwings
      daily. Had a third downy wp that met with a tragic window
      collision when I moved the suet---darn it, didnt get over that one
      for days. Speaking of collisions,we are 'harvesting' many lapland
      longspurs on the highways lately, big flocks of them with snow
      bunting and horned larks. Had about 5 snowy owls in early season
      but havent seen one for a month or so now. Quite a few falcons and
      eagles around eating pheasants and grouse, also a few rough-legs
      here.

      Thanks!
      Beth Madden
      Medicine Lake
    • John Carlson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
        Hi Beth and all,
        If she would like to get in touch with me I can point her to a number of sites just off (well, a few miles anyway) highway 2 around Glasgow that might work for her to find McCown's. If the weather allows, one of the best spots for McCown's is also an excellent spot to find Mountain Plovers too.

        John Carlson
        Fort Peck, MT
        jccarlson@...
        www.prairieice.blogspot.com

[...]

        Join the American Bird Conservancy today at http://www.abcbirds.org
        Surfbirds.com - The World Birding Website
      • Chuck Carlson
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2008
          Beth, and Mobsters

          I haven't seen a nuthatch feeding from a thistle feeder yet but we do have a N. Flicker that does it fairly often. I guess the seeds are about the size of ants and have an exoskeleton and meaty insides.

          Good to hear from you up there.

          Chuck Carlson
          Ft. Peck  MT