99.99% on Bozeman Snowy Owl

  • Mike Lesnik
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2008
      MOB,

      I'm going throw this out in the hopes that some one can verify it or
      get a picture of an albino Great Horned or other large owl.

      Written up immediately after I got home and e-maild to Lou Ann
      Harris, who will be looking, as will I, for it tomorrow.

      "At about 1500 I was heading back into town after X/C skiing on the
      newest ski trails in the Gallatin Valley - Spain Bridge Subd. off
      airport road. At the last minute I decided to drive McIllhatten and
      then dropped into Riverside to get into the Manley Meadows Subd.

      I was just past the house under construction that has the nice
      vertical wood siding and about abeam the finished one when I saw a
      flock of C Raven chasing a very light colored bird toward me (100 to
      150 ft high). My first impression was that it was a very light phase
      Rough-legged Hawk. When I got stopped, they were circling just to
      the drivers side of the road. I put my binoculars on it and didn't
      see the black wrist marks and then realized that I was looking at an
      owl.

      What I saw through a dozen or so circles and dips and dives: first
      impression was brilliant white underneath and face, wing span
      apparently the same as the ravens, overall larger than a Great Horned
      Owl, underwing leading edge a little dark (narrow strip), top of wing
      gray brown (not as gray as Sibley shows for a 1st winter) with the
      tips a bit lighter - not the dark and buffy patches of a Short-eared
      Owl.

      The mob started to move north so I put the binoc's down and reached
      for Sibley. Got a couple of more 11X looks @ 200 yds as I was
      fumbling to find the pages for the Short-eared. While I was glancing
      up and down - seems like the ravens quit it about over the old
      railroad grade - I finally lost the owl and don't know if it dropped
      into the willows south of McIllhattan or continued north toward the
      Sypes Canyon ridge. I'm going to send this and the check the
      internet for more color patterns."

      I have found some browner phased pictures on the internet, but the
      few flying pictures don't show any darkness on the underneath leading
      edge.

      Also, yesterday I was talking to a non-birding lady who saw a Snowy
      Owl in the East Gallatin Recreation Area (about 1/2 mile SE of this
      sighting) on a very cold day about 3 weeks ago.

      Comments expected and welcomed.

      Mike