Somers Bay

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2008
      MOB-sters:

      Somers Bay is still holding a nice variety of birds. I found a Mew
      Gull among the small group of gulls there this afternoon, as well as a
      pair of Red-breasted Mergansers. Also an apparent hybrid Common
      Goldeneye x Hooded Merganser drake much like those pictured and
      discussed on this site in the past. Lots of goldeneyes (all Common),
      Common and Hooded Mergansers, and one small group of Redheads and a
      few Ring-necked Ducks. The gulls were mostly Herring (~15), with a few
      (~9) Ring-billeds.

      Mr. Dan Casey
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2010
        MOB-sters:

        Another check of the gulls this evening. Looked like the Mew Gull was still there, but out at the distant pilings beyond the sailboats. Surprisingly, also two Caspian Terns.

      • Nate Kohler
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 16, 2013
          Hello All,

          Despite the overcast skies, viewing conditions were quite good in Somers Bay today. The water was very calm, allowing for long distance viewing. I was in the area, starting just after 10am, for about three hours with a short break for lunch.

          During my visit I was able to easily observe (at quite a distance) the Yellow-billed Loon from both Juniper Bay Road and south of there from the Fish Hatchery. Also seen in the area were at least 4 Common Loons, 7 Horned Grebes, 2 Eared Grebes, 1 Pied-billed Grebe and 3 Double-crested Cormorants. Near 50 Tundra Swans were seen along the north shore east of Somers.

          A few other interesting birds observed in the area were Pine Grosbeak, Pygmy Nuthatch and one Northern Pygmy-Owl.

          I have posted a photo of the (very cooperative) Pygmy-Owl in Nate's Album.

          Nate Kohler
          Deer Lodge
          Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gyr/
        • Nate Kohler
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 16, 2013
            I forgot to mention,

            There was a number of male Red-winged Blackbirds teed up along the highway through the Mission Valley on my way up to the lake - Spring has sprung!