dark morph Rough-legged Hawk

  • Chuck Carlson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2008
      Mobsters

      Yesterday ( Thursday) I spent about 20 minutes watching a dark morph Rough-legged Hawk hunting along the face of the hills just below the power plants here at Ft. Peck. The wind was right and it was using it to best advantage - hovering, diving, wheeling around and soaring. It would hover with only the outer primary feathers moving to provide balance, no wing flapping for at least 2 to 3 minutes. At one point it dove to the ground and came up with a fist full of grass, it must have missed the prey.

      I had plenty of time to study the underwing and tail patterns even though it was at least a quarter mile away. It appeared to be an immature bird. really enjoyed it.

      Chuck Carlson
      Ft. Peck  MT