mallards and long-tailed pair

  • Barbara Quinlan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2007
      Last week, I also saw a huge flock of mallards, gleaning in the fields off Clark road just
      east of West Valley road. I scanned and didn't see any other ducks, but estimated there
      were at least 1000 mallards.

      I also drove to Foys Lake last weekend and saw the long-tailed duck pair. BUT, I couldn't
      see the long tail on the drake. I found a few references that stated the long tail might be
      "submerged in swimming birds" and felt more at ease about the ID. The other field marks
      were there, so I added this bird to my life list. Thanks to Dan who always finds the rarities
      up here in NW Montana. There were also several Barrow's goldeneyes along the east and
      north shores of Foys Lake.

      Barbara Quinlan