Deer Lodge Valley/G-town Lake birds yesterday

  • Garrett MacDonald
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2007
      Hey MOB,

      I birded these areas between 11:30 and 4:30 yesterday and had some
      nice birds. At the "T" reached from the Warm Springs exit, I found a
      HARRIS'S SPARROW feeding in the driveway with 15 or so American Tree
      Sparrows. I couldn't find the White-winged Scoters that have been
      frequenting the southernmost ARCO pond, but I did find a single
      GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE at the southernmost end of this pond.
      Also, my first Bohemian Waxwings of the season - scattered flocks of
      20-40. Still haven't seen any yet in Missoula.

      Next, I checked Silver Lake, where I could not relocate the Black
      Scoter from Monday, but found a Surf Scoter instead. At Georgetown
      Lake, there was a single RED-BREASTED MERGANSER in with a large group
      of coots, but not much else. And finally, I ended the day watching a
      GREAT GRAY OWL hunt in a meadow up above the lake.

      A great day!

      Garrett MacDonald
      birdman2005@...
      Missoula, MT