Re: Evening Grosbeaks in Missoula, too

  • Katie La Salle-Lowery
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2007
      There have been both pine and evening grosbeaks in my Lolo
      neighborhood off and on the last few weeks, but I didn't consider
      that unusual as they were regulars last Feb-Mar. Prior to last year,
      I wasn't paying attention.
      I saw pine grosbeaks on my neighbor's feeders this morning.
      I had evening grosbeaks on my feeders a few weeks ago and pine
      siskins were eatting me out of house and home. For a while I had 40-
      60 pine siskins at any given time.
      About 5 weeks ago I had a single female black-headed grosbeak at the
      feeder for a few days.
      For about a week I've had pink-sided dark-eyed juncos.
      What I haven't seen lately is house finches. I had them daily up
      until a few weeks ago. I note counts participating in the Cornell
      house finch conjunctivitis study. I had an average of 5 observed at
      the same time up until a few weeks ago. I saw 1 yesterday for the
      first time in a few weeks.

      Katie LaSalle-Lowery
      katie@...
      www.bigskycountry.net - Updated Sept 24, 2007

      --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "Garrett MacDonald"
      <birdman2005@...> wrote:

      > MOB,
      >
      > Going along with Bob's post, I've seen (and heard) Evening
      Grosbeaks
      > flying over my apartment near Pattee Canyon 4 different mornings in
      the
      > past 10 days or so. I believe this is the first time I've seen them
      in
      > the Missoula valley in my 2 years of living here. The largest flock
      > contained 12 birds, and all the others have been singles. I assumed
      my
      > first few sightings were weather related, due to a system moving
      > through and unstable weather in the mountains. But Bob brings up an
      > interesting point about food availability. Anyone else seeing
      increased
      > numbers of seed-eating birds?
      >

      > Good birding to you all,
      >
      > Garrett MacDonald
      > Missoula, MT
      > birdman2005@...

    • Lou Ann Harris
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2007
        I had a single female Evening Grosbeak under my feeder a couple of days ago.  Also a female Purple Finch about a week ago, and at least 50 Pine Siskins everyday for the past three weeks.

        Lou Ann Harris
        Bozeman

        katie@bigskycountry.net