GF update

  • Arla Eckert
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
      The black and white duck that is being seen off and on in the river here in
      Great Falls is a barnyard type duck. It is a large duck and is often with
      the geese on the river or is seen on the shore hiking along. I have been
      getting calls on it since early June.

      Also there are a number of mallards that are odd balls. Also we have a large
      flock of white farmyard geese and a pair of Graylag geese (note the large
      belly and a ridge line behind the bill on these to make sure you are not
      seeing a Greater White-fronted goose)
      West Bank Park last week yielded the following birds
      Common terns 2 or more
      1 Caspian Tern check out the large size, black legs
      1 Great Blue Heron
      Huge numbers of Franklin Gulls in many different stages of molt-very
      interesting
      Ring-billed gulls
      California Gulls-some were born on the sand bar itself.
      Spotted Sandpipers
      Solitary Sandpiper note small dots on back
      Killdeer
      American Avocet
      Redhead Ducks in molt
      Common Goldeneye in molt
      American White Pelican
      Double-crested Cormorant
      2 Marbled Godwit
      Plus many small backyard type birds along the shore
    • Arla Eckert
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 11, 2007
        The Great Egret is still hanging around. It is moving around a lot so keep
        looking for it. Today I did not see it this am or on the trip up the road in
        West Bank Park but after turning around I saw it on the back side of the
        island in the bay area. The other day it was in that area for a bit then it
        flew off. Also found a Wilson Snipe this was a first for me in West Bank
        park area. Arla Eckert Great Falls
      • Arla Eckert
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 2007
          Checked West bank Park tonight and found that the Great Egret is still here.
          Also found a juv. Black-crowned Night-Heron, one Marbled Godwit, one
          Red-necked Grebe, and our normal collection of other birds. Arla Eckert
          Great Falls
        • Arla Eckert
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20, 2007
            On our count day for CBC we found a Harris Sparrow who was eating under a
            feeder with a group of House Sparrows. What I found very interesting was how
            this little fellow was standing up to the House Sparrows and in fact was
            winning big time!

            Also of interest was the two Sharp shined Hawks that were in my yard one
            morning that seemed to be working together. One was sitting in the big
            Spruce Tree over the bird bath/feeding area and the other was flying around.
            Also had a Merlin go over the top of the yard. I have seen this happen
            before last February. My guest is the hawk was there most of the day, since
            my bird bath was almost full that night and most days it is dry by late in
            the day if I am gone.

            Then yesterday morning I was out filling my feeders from a very large metal
            trash can and I heard a chickadee sound right next to me. The little guy
            dove right into the can that was about 1Ž4 filled to grab a seed then sat near
            by to eat it. Next it was right next to me drinking from the birdbath.
            Things like this are what make birding so much fun. Arla Eckert Great Falls
          • Arla Eckert
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 28, 2008
              I know it has been bit since I posted. Reason a major computer blowup. Now using a backup
              setup and will be for awhile, then was out in the hills camping and kayaking.

              Some time in the last 2 weeks and I am not sure when, we lost the Bald Eagle nest. It fell
              down.

              we also lost one of the owlets but still have 2 of them who I found today while leading a field
              trip for the Lewis and Clark Center. We had 2 groups, Alan Nelson led the other group. We
              had about 35 folks come at 6:15 am. We had a good time. We did find a Cedar Waxwing on a
              nest.

              Now have to run I have another program to do this afternoon. Arla Eckert Great Falls