Trumpeter Swans

    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2007
      Mob-sters:

      A group of 4 Trumpeter Swans was on the Split Pond on North Somers
      Road this evening. None with collars. A few Wilson's Phalaropes
      there, and on the slough on Farm Road, which also hosted two Lesser
      Yellowlegs and a small group of American Pipits.

      A few photos tomorrow.

    • Bob Martinka
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 20, 2007
        Birders:

        For those of you near Helena, there were 7 trumpeters feeding along
        the shoreline about 300yards south of the Causeway on Lake Helena.
        They present a good opportunity to take a close look at the birds -
        but you have to pull as far off of the raod as possible so as not to
        impede traffic.

        Bob Martinka
      • Janene Lichtenberg
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 22, 2009

          Hello to the group,

          There are currently two active release programs in Montana , the Flathead Indian Reservation and the Blackfoot Valley . All swans being released in Montana are banded with red leg bands and often collars with white alphanumeric codes. The swans released on the Flathead Indian Reservation will have a T in the 3 digit alphanumeric code. I watch the MOB list for Trumpeter Swan observations. People can also report observations by email or phone to me (at the contact information below) or Dale Becker at 883-2888 ext. 7278. We maintain a file with the history of each swan and learn a lot about the movements and fate of these swans from reported sightings. Swans released in the Blackfoot Valley have a P in the alphanumeric code. Greg Neudecker is the contact for swans released in the Blackfoot Valley , Greg_Neudecker@... . I have sent the post from Nate concerning 4P3 to him. I would like to thank everyone for reporting Trumpeter Swan sightings. It is very useful to know when and where people see Trumpeter Swans especially those with collars and leg bands.

          Janene

          Janene Lichtenberg, Wildlife Biologist

          Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes

          Wildlife Management Program

          PO Box 278

          Pablo, MT 59855

          406-883-2888 ext. 7291

          janenel@...

        • Mike Violette
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 9, 2009
            While at Ninepipes NWR refuge on 02.07.09 I observed a pair of Trumpters swans one of which was collared. The next day I observed a family unit of Trumpeter Swans as they flew over me. The two adults were collared while the younger two were not.

          • Cynthia
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 19, 2013
              Hi Ya'll

              Today, Robert and I saw 6 Trumpeter Swans standing on the still-frozen pond at corner of Beaverhead Rd. and 93, south of Ronan. Two had red/white neckbands (K62, K63) which I reported. Two had unreadable metal leg bands and 2 were unmarked. One with a leg band and one unmarked were engaging in courtship display - facing each other, quivering wings and bobbing heads while vocalizing.

              We then went to see Yellow-billed Loon (success!) which was pretty distant but visible near the very small rock island with orange marker, best seen from N. Juniper Bay Rd. Also visible were several thousand American Coots.

              We also found a tree with 90+ Red-winged Blackbird males, all singing. Quite the aural spectacle. There seemed to be 1 lone female in the flock.

              Cynthia Hudson
              Alberton
            • Steve Sherman
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 19, 2016
                Hi all,
                With this warm weather we have been seen birds on the move. At Clark Canyon this morning I saw my first of the year Pintails. I have been seeing small groups of Trumpeter Swans throughout the winter however this morning I saw three pair. One had a red neck band another indication of waterfowl movement. Much courtship behavior going on among the duck species. The starlings are starting to show up at the feeder in greater numbers—where is the little sharpie when you want him? I still have a pair of Brown Creepers coming to the feeder. In the open country around Dillon this is not a common bird.
                Steve Sherman
                Dillon
              • Mike
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 25
                  About 1 mile west Of Dixon, on the South side of the road, there were several pairs (couple collared that I saw as I drove by) working the numerous wet areas right on the fence line. May be a good spot for someone to get some close up viewing:)
                  Mike
                  Missoula