Bewick's Wren

  • david_paul_hendricks
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2007
      Hi all:

      At least one of the Bewick's Wrens (brown or Pacific Northwest morph)
      continues to occupy the usual spot along the Bitterroot River at Fort
      Missoula. Yesterday Coburn Currier and I went down there at about 4
      pm, and found it rummaging through underbrush about where Jeff Marks
      and I found one on 16 April. They may have settled, at least for now,
      which should make them easier to locate and track. We thought we heard
      distant odd singing, but up close we only heard what I termed "sputter"
      calls. And we had really nice looks of 7-8 Evening Grosbeaks (mostly
      males) as they masticated maple flowers.
    • Jim Greaves
      Message 2 of 7 , May 5, 2007
        Hi all -- No disrespect, but "Mastication or chewing is the process by
        which food is mashed and crushed by teeth." [Source: Wickipedia] ...
        grosbeaks don't have teeth. Happy Traill's! - Jim Greaves

        --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, "david_paul_hendricks"
        <david_paul_hendricks@...> wrote:

        > Hi all:
        >
        > [snipped] we had really nice looks of 7-8 Evening Grosbeaks (mostly
        > males) as they masticated maple flowers.
      • Terry and Carole Toppins
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2008
          I posted a somewhat poor picture of one of the two Bewick's Wrens I
          found today on Sleven's Island at Ft. Missoula. It was very cloudy
          today but it is the best I have been able to do last winter and this
          winter. The little buggers just won't stay still. Oh it is in Terry's
          pics.

          Terry Toppins
          tertp[@...
        • Terry and Carole Toppins
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 24, 2008
            Hello Mobbers

            I spent 2 1/2 hours on Sleven's Island at Fort Missoula today looking
            for the Bewick's Wren - temps from 6 to 13 degrees. Ran into Larry
            Weeks also looking and he eventually heard one and then together we
            saw both wrens. I managed one picture and added it to Terry's
            pictures. It was nice to have a sunny day in Missoula (our 3rd in
            a row). I watched two Song Sparrows feeding on the river ice - it
            was very comical to see them bend down to pick up something and
            start sliding on the ice, they just didn't have any grip. My list at
            Fort Missoula follows in order of sighting
            American Kestrel
            Bohemian Waxwing
            Black-billed Magpie
            Mallard
            Song Sparrow (at least 5, possibly 8)
            Black-capped Chickadee
            Golden-crowned Kinglet
            Northern Flicker
            Winter Wren
            Downy Woodpecker
            Canada Goose
            Bewick's Wrens - 2
            Great Blue Heron
            Pileated Woodpecker (heard)
            Rock Pigeon
            Red-tailed Hawk

            Terry Toppins
            tertop@...
            Missoula
          • DonaldJ
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012
              Evening Everyone,

              Just had a first for me, first wren in my yard in 20 years of living at this spot and it happened to be a Bewick's Wren. I had it about 20 feet outside my office window (at home) and got to watch it twice with binos.

              I went ouside after rounding up my ipod but I was unable to find him again. If he returns I'll let you know.

              I reported it to Dan Casey and he is sending me a rare bird report.

              Don Jones
              Troy
            • Chadeayne Roush
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 30, 2012
                interesting report.  Recently, near Whitehall, I had an excellent lengthy view of a wren which I could not identify because it had entirely white undermarkings.  I never considered a Bewicks because of the locality.  I reported it to friends who couldn't identify it either.  Maybe.......