Warm Spring WMA Birds

  • Gary Swant
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2014
      I did my weekly survey today and found two birds of interest.  In the area where the Black-crowned Night-Heron nested there was a young juvenile bird today.  The species has again successfully raised young at WS.  WS WMA continues to be one of the few places west of the continental divide that the species is breeding.

      I have also been watching a pair of Black-necked Stilts for the last month that should have migrated on sometime ago.  I wondered if they might stay and breed.  Today I found 3 chicks with the pair on an island in Job Corps Pond 2.  That is the first time I have seen the species breed at WS WMA.  Looking at Montana Bird Distribution 7th Edition it appears they do not breed in the state very often or in many places.  There is a big B for 14D, 17B and a little b for 9C.

      This is species is a bird of concern.  Perhaps Jeff Marks can share with us how many breeding records we have in the state of this species.

      Gary Swant
      Deer Lodge
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2014
        Hi Gary,

        I don't know how many stilt breeding records are known for the state, but clearly the species has expanded in range and numbers considerably since the late 1970s, and it has been found in proper nesting habitat almost statewide. So, I would say the notion that stilts do not breed very often or in many places in the state (as indicated by MBD) results from the fact that lots of people are failing to report them.

        An intersting issue, nonetheless. Thanks for raising it.

        Jeff

        *******************
        Jeff Marks
        4241 SE Liebe Street
        Portland, OR 97206
        503-774-4783
        Birds of Montana Project
        http://mtaudubon.org/
        *******************

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2014
          Jeff,

          Interesting.  (MBD) is some cases is a record of who is reporting birds I guess, rather than the actual occurrence of a species.  That is why we need to encourage people to send it records.  There are times I get home from birding and I'm tired, and I try to talk myself out of taking the time to report.  I always end up sending the data in as our conclusions are only as good as the data we have to work with.

          I still think it is the first record for WS WMA, or least my first record.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2014
            Gary, Jeff, All

            I just downloaded the Excel file for this species from the Natural Heritage Program Generalized Observations page.

            Most recent of 471 records is a t from 26 August 2013.  Last of 32 Big B's is from 27 April 2011.  There are also 27 b records in the years 1989 to 2003.

            I guess that this is the one best data source?

            Mike Lesnik
            Livingston
          • Kristi DuBois

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4, 2014
                Oops!  Black-necked Stilt.

                The other one has 498 records.  Last of 97 Big B was 18 July 2011.

                Mike Lesnik
                Livingston