Gallatin Valley Central Park Pond and Manhattan Area Pond

  • kerristrasheim
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 15, 2014

      Greetings!

      With a smaller open spot of water, birding at Central Park Pond was good today - concentrating the waterfowl in one area for viewing pleasure!

      Birds seen - 20 swans (mixed Trumpeter/Tundra), 100 Mallards, 4 Buffleheads, 15 Common Goldeneyes, 10 Northern Pintails, 10 American Wigeons, 30 Canada geese, 1 Bald Eagle, 3 Magpies, and 2 Black-Capped Chickadees (sound only).

      Also, at the pond near Manhattan (heading towards the river), we saw 7 Green-Winged Teals, 1 male Northern Shoveler, and 25 Mallards.

      Funny anecdote regarding the swans - after canvassing the bird species and getting around to list-making, my friend and I conferred on swan ID (Trumpeter v Tundra).  When we turned out attention back to the water and the swans, every single swan had their head in a sleeping pose (or hiding pose, as it seemed!).

      I do plan on entering this information on E-Bird, too.

      Cheers,

      Kerri Strasheim

      Bozeman, MT

    • Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 16, 2014
        Feb 15, '14
        We ran into Kerri Strasheim at Central Park Pond and saw all the same birds she recently reported.  We also saw close to a dozen Rough Legged Hawks on adjoining gravel roads.  Two Redtail Hawks and one Prairie Falcon near the intersection of Swamp Road and Dry Creek Road.  Male Kingfisher on a wire near Thompson Spring Creek plus an immature Bald Eagle one power pole South from the Kingfisher. Another highlight of the day was a group of 50 or so Redwing Blackbirds clustered in some Alder Bushes, adjacent to a small Spring Creek on Burnt Road.

        The Hawks really seem to like wooden power poles along gravel roads, adjacent to irrigated agricultural fields in the Amsterdam Churchill area.   As soon as the roads rise up above the tilled fields, to high dry prairie to the West of Amsterdam, the density of hawks drops off noticeably.

        --
        /*  Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh  >--oO0> */