RE: Re: West Valley, Kalispell

  • danbcr10
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2013

      Josh:

      Keep looking in those flocks.  Swamp Sparrow is certainly an annual migrant here, but merely overlooked.  Interesting that you mentioned Lapland Longspurs...I had three on my hike in the Jewel Basin today, feeding along the trail.

      ---In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, <covillbirder92@..., mob-montana@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hello Dan and everybody!

      Being a nemesis bird of mine, I went to see if I could that Swamp Sparrow yesterday(Sunday) afternoon.

      The sparrow flocks were not showing themselves or have moved on but I did have a flock of about 20 birds fly over and then they disappeared over the hills.  My immediate idea was Lapland Longspurs by their calls and general color (although I didn't get a well lit look, it was mostly backlit looks against the cloudy sky) but after doing some research on rattle calls it sounded much more like Snow Buntings.  Cool sighting, but another point goes to another nemesis bird!

      Swamp Sparrow - 5 points
      Lapland Longspur - 6 points
      Josh Covill - 0 points

      I'll get 'em ext time!!