RE: Re: [MOB-Montana] BROAD-WINGEDHAWKS in Westby

  • danbcr10
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 22, 2013

      Jeff, et al:  Three of the 50 Broad-wingeds we have classified to morph at the Jewel Basin over the past five years were dark morph birds.

      --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, <jeff17_marks@..., mob-montana@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Craig,

      I don't know how the incidence of dark-morph Broad-winged Hawks changes geographically, but I recall that at Hawk Ridge in Duluth, MN, where the birds are abundant during migration, dark morphs are quite rare. I just checked with my friend who ran a banding station at Hawk Ridge for more than 3 decades, and he said they see about 1 dark Broad-winged for every 1,000 that pass over. Thus, three dark birds out of 12 sounds almost beyond belief. Maybe the incidence is higher farther west than at Duluth?

      Jeff

      *******************
      Jeff Marks
      4241 SE Liebe Street
      Portland, OR 97206
      503-774-4783
      Birds of Montana Project
      http://mtaudubon.org/
      *******************
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 22, 2013
        Heelo, I'm not very good at Hawks but in the winter time around Great Falls we
        sure seem to get a fair number of Dark Morph's, Species?
        FTB's
        Richard

        On 22 Sep 2013 08:00:04 -0700
        <danielcasey55@...> wrote:

        > Jeff, et al: Three of the 50 Broad-wingeds we have classified to morph at
        >the Jewel Basin over the past five years were dark morph birds.
        >

        > Dan Casey
        > Somers
        >
        > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, <jeff17_marks@...,
        >mob-montana@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        >
        > Craig, I don9t know how the incidence of dark-morph Broad-winged
        >Hawks changes geographically, but I recall that at Hawk Ridge in Duluth, MN,
        >where the birds are abundant during migration, dark morphs are quite rare. I
        >just checked with my friend who ran a banding station at Hawk Ridge for more
        >than 3 decades, and he said they see about 1 dark Broad-winged for every
        >1,000 that pass over. Thus, three dark birds out of 12 sounds almost beyond
        >belief. Maybe the incidence is higher farther west than at Duluth? Jeff
        > *******************
        > Jeff Marks
        > 4241 SE Liebe Street
        > Portland, OR 97206
        > 503-774-4783
        > Birds of Montana Project
        > http://mtaudubon.org/
        > ******************* ----- Original Message ----- From: Craig
        > Hohenberger To: MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday,
        >September 20, 2013 8:01 PM Subject: [MOB-Montana] BROAD-WINGEDHAWKS
        > in Westby
        >
        > Mobsters:
        > Today in Westby, my brother had 12 BROAD-WINGED HAWKS take off about 10
        >am and ride the thermals upward and ultimately to the south. Three of
        >the birds were dark morphs.
        > cheers, Craig HohenbergerBigfork

        Sincerely;
        Richard Mousel - rmousel@...
        Great Falls, MT 59405
        www.4co.us - Wildlife, Nature, Scenic Photography.
      • danbcr10
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 22, 2013

          Richard:

          Those would be Red-taileds and Rough-leggeds.  Ironically, I just got a call from bj Worth, who is manning the Jewel site today, saying he had a beautiful dark-morph Broad-winged circling right overhead. This was our first dark one this fall, following 8 light morphs.

          Dan Casey