Re: BROAD-WINGEDHAWKS in Westby

  • Timothy Barksdale
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 22, 2013
      Hi Jeff & Craig,

      My first encounter with a dark morph Broadwing was along the Cassiar Hwy in extreme N British Columbia in 1994. On the return from Alaska, I decided to drive the entire Hwy south. I was surprised to find Broadwings to be as common as they were. On one day I had 3 individuals and one was another dark bird. I ended up with 3 sightings of dark morph birds -none of which cooperated enough to be filmed. As I recall, I had 7 total Broadwings on that drive.

      Although I do not have my notes with me... Each time I have driven back and forth to Alaska, I've had at least one dark morph bird. They were more common I felt about 1998, but the forests had not been impacted so severely by that time. In my most recent drive, 2007 I stuck to the same route- up the AlCan drive down the Cassiar for 100 k or so, then on the return journey drive the Cassiar all the way to Prince George and come the final leg through Jasper/Banff.  I've consistently found dark morph Broadwings in the stretch between Prince George and Vanderhoof over the years. Although the first one I found was about 30 miles south of Watson Lake, I've never seen any Broadwings since then, in that area.

      Perhaps the regeneration of the forests in one or more of these areas is allowing Broadwing populations to thrive.

      Tim

      Timothy Barksdale
      Birdman Productions LLC
      P.O. Box 1124
      65 Mountain View Dr.
      Choteau, MT 59422

      Kansas City area:
      Birdman Adventures, L.L.C.
      P.O. Box 8554
      Kansas City, MO 64114

      913-669-2661

      At Birdman Productions, we make films about birds, and tell stories that change people's lives.

    • danbcr10
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 22, 2013

        Jeff, et al:  Three of the 50 Broad-wingeds we have classified to morph at the Jewel Basin over the past five years were dark morph birds.

        --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, <jeff17_marks@..., mob-montana@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Craig,

        I don't know how the incidence of dark-morph Broad-winged Hawks changes geographically, but I recall that at Hawk Ridge in Duluth, MN, where the birds are abundant during migration, dark morphs are quite rare. I just checked with my friend who ran a banding station at Hawk Ridge for more than 3 decades, and he said they see about 1 dark Broad-winged for every 1,000 that pass over. Thus, three dark birds out of 12 sounds almost beyond belief. Maybe the incidence is higher farther west than at Duluth?

        Jeff

        *******************
        Jeff Marks
        4241 SE Liebe Street
        Portland, OR 97206
        503-774-4783
        Birds of Montana Project
        http://mtaudubon.org/
        *******************
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 22, 2013
          Heelo, I'm not very good at Hawks but in the winter time around Great Falls we
          sure seem to get a fair number of Dark Morph's, Species?
          FTB's
          Richard

          On 22 Sep 2013 08:00:04 -0700
          <danielcasey55@...> wrote:

          > Jeff, et al: Three of the 50 Broad-wingeds we have classified to morph at
          >the Jewel Basin over the past five years were dark morph birds.
          >

          > Dan Casey
          > Somers
          >
          > --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, <jeff17_marks@...,
          >mob-montana@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          >
          > Craig, I don9t know how the incidence of dark-morph Broad-winged
          >Hawks changes geographically, but I recall that at Hawk Ridge in Duluth, MN,
          >where the birds are abundant during migration, dark morphs are quite rare. I
          >just checked with my friend who ran a banding station at Hawk Ridge for more
          >than 3 decades, and he said they see about 1 dark Broad-winged for every
          >1,000 that pass over. Thus, three dark birds out of 12 sounds almost beyond
          >belief. Maybe the incidence is higher farther west than at Duluth? Jeff
          > *******************
          > Jeff Marks
          > 4241 SE Liebe Street
          > Portland, OR 97206
          > 503-774-4783
          > Birds of Montana Project
          > http://mtaudubon.org/
          > ******************* ----- Original Message ----- From: Craig
          > Hohenberger To: MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday,
          >September 20, 2013 8:01 PM Subject: [MOB-Montana] BROAD-WINGEDHAWKS
          > in Westby
          >
          > Mobsters:
          > Today in Westby, my brother had 12 BROAD-WINGED HAWKS take off about 10
          >am and ride the thermals upward and ultimately to the south. Three of
          >the birds were dark morphs.
          > cheers, Craig HohenbergerBigfork

          Sincerely;
          Richard Mousel - rmousel@...
          Great Falls, MT 59405
          www.4co.us - Wildlife, Nature, Scenic Photography.
        • danbcr10
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 22, 2013

            Richard:

            Those would be Red-taileds and Rough-leggeds.  Ironically, I just got a call from bj Worth, who is manning the Jewel site today, saying he had a beautiful dark-morph Broad-winged circling right overhead. This was our first dark one this fall, following 8 light morphs.

            Dan Casey