RE: Birder's Guide to Grinnell Glacier Trail in Glacier National Park

  • danbcr10
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2013

      David:

      The Montana Bird Records Committee has not yet added Pacific-Slope Flycatcher to the official state list, treating all "Western" Flycatchers by default as Cordilleran. But genetics sampling indicates that birds in the northwestern part of the state are mixed.  Maybe this is a split that should never have happened?

      --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, <mob-montana@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Dear MOB, I've just posted a birder's guide to the Grinnell Glacier Trail in GNP at http://www.gnpbirds.net Please leave feedback (what am I missing?) as comments to the blog post.  I'm especially interested in whether you think the (usually three) territorial flycatchers along the north shore of Josephine lake are Pacific-Slope or Cordilleran.  I call them Pac-slope based on the "position call" and what a group of birders from Flathead Audubon told me.  I'd be interested in your thoughts...

      Thanks,

      David Benson, Many Glacier Ranger-Naturalist and Ptarmigan Researcher