Apgar Oxbow Area 9/6/13

  • avidbirderglac
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2013
      Today we piloted a fall Ranger-led Bird Walk in the Apgar Village area. We used the Camas Bridge, and crossed to the Oxbow area trail on the opposite side of Lower McDonald Creek. We had low numbers and very few vocalizing birds, which is as expected for this time of year, but the birds we did see were really quality sightings. We watched a family of mergansers fishing under the Camas Bridge, saw an Osprey perch on a sunlit branch, and even watched a bird of prey we were unable to identify chase an osprey, going for the catch in his talons. While numbers were low, quality was high, and I at least, was satisfied with the walk.

      9 species total:

      6 Common Merganser - Mergus merganser
      1 Osprey - Pandion haliaetus
      1 Pileated Woodpecker - Dryocopus pileatus (heard only)
      2 Common Raven - Corvus corax
      2 Mountain Chickadee - Poecile gambeli
      1 Red-breasted Nuthatch - Sitta canadensis (heard only)
      1 Brown Creeper - Certhia americana (heard only)
      6 Cedar Waxwing - Bombycilla cedrorum
      1 Dark-eyed Junco - Junco hyemalis

      We'll have one more walk next week, Friday the 13th at 8am - no guarantees we'll see much, I'm new to fall birding in MT - but any time spent outside it a worthy endeavor isn't it? Thanks to those who came out to join us this time round.

      Happy fall birding!
      Ranger Leigh Lindstrom