RE: Empid ID

  • wehsms
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2013

      We will probably never know with certainty, but I lean for your empid as being an Alder Flycatcher.  It just doesn't strike me as being a Willow Flycatcher.  Won't go into all the reasons here, but if there is a vote, my vote goes to Alder.

      Cheers,

      Ed Harper

      --- In mob-montana@yahoogroups.com, <jswanson@...> wrote:

      Hi Chuck,

      I'm not great at empid ID, but I think the bird might be a Willow Flycatcher (Traill's at least).  I worked with Kaufmann's 1990 version of Advanced Birding and with Sibley to come to this conclusion.

      -White throat contrasting sharply with head color

      -Pale underside of bill

      -Thin eye-ring

      -Primary projection is hard to see, but wingtips don't come close to reaching the end of the untacs, so I'm guessing it is short

      -Wingbars are hard to see, but I think that if they were bright, I would be able to see the beginnings peeking around the edge of the wing rather clearly - what I do see looks dull

      So, three pretty good characteristics and two that are a little more subjective make me think Willow.

      I prefer Willow to Alder simply because Alder is supposed to have a little more primary projection than Willow.  In the end, I would probably have to stop at calling it a Traill's, although I lean towards Willow.  Is one or the other more likely in your area (Willow vs. Alder)?

      I hope this helped.

      James Swanson

      --- In mob-montana@yahoogroups.com, <chuckcmt@...> wrote:

      Folks

      I posted a photo of an empid in the ID photo album and added comments about the sighting. Any comments on the identity are welcome and appreciated.

      The yard really livened up on September 1 when a Cape May Warbler was seen along with 25 other species including the first Lincoln’s Sparrow of the season and the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds that have been hanging out since Aug. 18. Since then there has been a good number of species visiting.

      Chuck Carlson
      Ft. Peck
    • Forrest Rowland
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 26, 2013
        Chuck,

        Just back from Brazil and saw your post - any other photos that might give evidence of stage of feather moult? Better idea of primary projection? Tough call from the photo supplied...but interesting!

        Good Birding,

        Asunto: [MOB-Montana] Empid ID
        A: "MOB" <MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 26, 2013
          Forrest

          There were no other photos. I only got highly contrasty look at it and was able to get one photo that showed any king of detail. I lightened the photo and reduced the contrast to get a reasonable image.

          The responses I got were one each of Alder, Willow and Least. This is what I got from Tony Leukering

          ”If the bird was actually as short-tailed as it looks in the pic, I'd guess Least.  It's got a fairly wide bill with a yellow maxilla with no strong suggestion of duskiness, which should rule out Dusky and Gray (the bill width should rule out Hammond's).”

          I think it will have to remain one of those late summer empids.