RE: Window casualties

  • thomaskallmeyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2013

      Nancy,

      A very simple solution that has worked for me is a roll of twine and adhesive plastic hooks, for less than $2.00 at Ace Hardware. The adhesive plastic hooks can be removed from glass without leaving a residue. I place one hook at the top of each end of a row of windows, cut and tie one long piece of twine from hook to hook horizontally and then hang two shorter pieces of twine vertically in front of each window. We haven't had a single window collision in the 2 years since I've done this. It's not that noticeable either, the only drawback is that occasionally I have to untangle the horizontal pieces of twine.

      Good Birding,

      Thomas, Missoula

      --- In MOB-Montana@yahoogroups.com, <mob-montana@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      To all;
      We have had a significant increase in Evening Grosbeaks at our feeders in the last 3 weeks or so. The increase has also brought a rise in window collisions. Has anyone else had this experience and has anyone used anything successfully to deter these events? I saw a curious product in BirdWatcher'sDigest; some little cluster of feathers that you stick on the window. I'm not wanting to put up falcon silhouettes lest they scare birds away. I don't recall this uptick in Evening Grosbeaks in years past either.
      Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      Nancy Neiley
      Bzmn.
    • Sandy Gerber