northern Park County

  • steel_rsd
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2013

      MOB,

      Weekend camping to the Shields River Campground in the north Crazies had the typical array of Park County mountain birds.  My list included:

      Great Horned Owl (heard)

      Red-naped Sapsucker (1)

      Yellow-rumped Warbler (2)

      Red-breasted Nuthatch (1)

      Red-tailed Hawk (1)

      Black-eyed Junco (20+/-)

      Mountain Chickadee (20 +/-)

      Northern Flicker (1)

      Gray Jay (5)

      Clark's Nutcracker (1)

      Cooper's/Sharp-shinned Hawk (1)

      Our Clyde Park yard activity was relatively uneventful.  Heavy with Common Grackles.  As many as 50 roaming the neighborhood.   Hairy and Downy woodpeckers becoming regular again in the trees and at the suet feeder.  A lone Pine Siskin among several dozen House Sparrows and a few House Finches.  Collared Doves, Robins, Goldfinch, Raven, Starlings, Black-headed Grosbeak among the other current visitors.

      Cottonwood Res. seemed to be void of shorebird activity.  A few unidentified Grebes, ducks, Pelicans and Canada Geese made up bulk of the population.  The east shore is currently hosting a couple dozen Brewer's Sparrows (FOY for me).  There were 2 dead Pelicans on the beach near the main entrance. Considering they were next to each other, I suspect foul play.

      Scott Dean

      Clyde Park, MT

    • steel_rsd
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2014

        MOB,

        Still blanketed with snow but signs of spring in northern Park County.    A nice view of a Ferruginous Hawk on top of a power pole near Wilsall.   Lots of Bald Eagles in various age plumages all over the Shields Valley.  Still seeing Rough-legged Hawks as well.  Red-winged Blackbirds and Robins arrived this week.  And a pair of Sandhill Cranes landed in a stubble field north of Clyde Park last evening.  I hope to go out to Cottonwood Res.  this weekend for a report.

        Scott Dean, Clyde Park